Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th May 2019, 11:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
So there’s all this information about torsional rigidity, oscillations, stability, damping, etc, with tripods rated against each other but no proof that any of it matters from a practical viewpoint. Do the measurable differences in testing make any difference to the sharpness of a print?

If there are little to no demonstrable real-life differences between tripods then it’s all just geekery as far as I can see.
Agreed! This reminds me of a ballhead test I read years ago in a German magazine which displayed highly-enlarged crops of a studio test target using the same camera, lens, support, etc.. It was very well done, and showed a lot about the damping properties of the various heads. Another test they conducted was also useful -- holding capacity using a tensioned boom, which illustrated how much weight the head might hold with, say, a long heavy lens before it slipped. If I recall, the same magazine did a tripod test using similar methods. All very helpful and practical in helping one decide what to buy for real world use.
Old 14th May 2019, 06:13 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
Having read and reread the article I still can't work out whether the centre column was fully extended or not. I always prefer to have the centre column as low as possible and use the tripod legs to get the height.

The one useful thing I took away from the site, Rob, was his finding that, with cheap tripods, it’s better to raise the centre column than fully extend the legs - if the legs at the bottom are on the slender side. With expensive tripods you’re better extending the legs. It’s all down to the diameter of the bottom legs. Again, though, I don’t know if the advantages are theoretical or practical.

I’m not quite sure why I spent so much time reading about tripod tests as I hate the bloody things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14th May 2019, 08:29 AM
Friend

I tend to agree with Neil’s comment above. If your images depend on tripod use, however, it makes sense to buy a good one. I would prefer carbon fibre for a good combination of strength, damping and low weight. Whether extending the centre column, or using the slimmest lower legs is sensible can probably be assessed by a practical examination of the particular tripod. I tend to avoid using the lower legs, or raising the column, unless it’s absolutely necessary to secure a particular viewpoint. Sometimes it is necessary to do one, or both, and you take your chances. I’ve never attached a bag, or other weight, for stability. I wish I had, however, when my tripod recently blew over on a windy day.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14th May 2019, 08:46 AM
Friend

An interesting thought:

Were these tests conducted in a studio (with no wind), in a slight breeze, a stiff breeze or in gale force conditions ?

Wind anybody !

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 14th May 2019, 08:57 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I tend to agree with Neil’s comment above. If your images depend on tripod use, however, it makes sense to buy a good one. I would prefer carbon fibre for a good combination of strength, damping and low weight. Whether extending the centre column, or using the slimmest lower legs is sensible can probably be assessed by a practical examination of the particular tripod. I tend to avoid using the lower legs, or raising the column, unless it’s absolutely necessary to secure a particular viewpoint. Sometimes it is necessary to do one, or both, and you take your chances. I’ve never attached a bag, or other weight, for stability. I wish I had, however, when my tripod recently blew over on a windy day.
Alex

Those wind gods do like their bit of fun don,t they.? The Greeks even gave them names: Boreas God of the North wind, Eurus God of the unlucky east or South east wind,Notus God of the South wind and Zephyrus God of the West wind. I am guessing that it was Zephyrus that blew your tripod and camera over.
Old 14th May 2019, 09:02 AM
Friend

It happened because a companion distracted me with a well-intentioned suggestion that we move the car a bit closer to where I was working. I turned my back on the camera for a moment, and one of those Godly winds caught it. Fortunately, the only damage was the loss of some black paint, leaving the Nikon with a pleasant worn look...
Alex

Old 14th May 2019, 09:33 AM
Friend

Many moons ago when I used to frequent CCs I can remember an old hand saying to me; 'a good tripod is the best lens you can buy.'

In those days a good tripod was considered to be anything that was a move up from the entry-level Jessop or Dixons. And I have to admit the old hand was right!

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 14th May 2019, 09:55 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
It happened because a companion distracted me with a well-intentioned suggestion that we move the car a bit closer to where I was working. I turned my back on the camera for a moment, and one of those Godly winds caught it. Fortunately, the only damage was the loss of some black paint, leaving the Nikon with a pleasant worn look...
Alex

Pleased to hear that there was no substantial damage.
Old 14th May 2019, 10:23 AM
Friend

I have a cheap tripod I bought quite a few years ago in Turkey, it was under £10 the head is plastic but it'll happily carry my 5x4 camera and has a hook at the bottom of the column to hang something for greater stability. It works surprisingly well.

I also have a small Slick Sprint Pro II that fit's inside my small backpack with my light weight 5x4 kit. Now I wouldn't use either on a windy fday here in the UK but they are ideal when shooting in Greece & Turkey. We have to decide when the stability of a larger heavier may hinder us in other ways, portability, discretion (I can sneak the Slik into areas were tripods aren't really allowed.

Ian
Old 14th May 2019, 10:26 AM
Friend

I also have that Slik model. It’s ideal for travelling, and easily handles a traditional SLR.
Alex

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies