Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th November 2019, 08:38 AM
Administrator

I occasionally hang a weight from my tripod. I do it to help stop it being blown over!
Old 13th November 2019, 09:15 PM
Friend

Having had my 5x4 go over in the wind a couple of times I have now invested in a bungee strap.

I then suspend my camera bag from the underside of the tripod to reduce the possibility of having the tripod take a tumble.

YMMV

Martin
Old 14th November 2019, 01:42 AM
Administrator

I seem to recall an experiment (but I suspect it was on youtube, so make of that what you will...) that hanging a weight makes no appreciable difference to vibration. As suggested above, it was the stiffness and bulk of the legs that was the deciding factor. Using it to stop a tripod going over in the wind sounds like a good idea tho!
Old 14th November 2019, 09:14 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I seem to recall an experiment (but I suspect it was on youtube, so make of that what you will...) that hanging a weight makes no appreciable difference to vibration. As suggested above, it was the stiffness and bulk of the legs that was the deciding factor. Using it to stop a tripod going over in the wind sounds like a good idea tho!
Bob, see my comment in the first page of this thread.

Alan
Old 30th March 2021, 01:31 AM
Friend

OK, I’m a yank who has used tripods since the 70’s. One of the things I learned was not to extend the center column. Vibration, instability. I have photographed all over the US Southwest, where the wind come blowing. Desert is basically open, or with dunes constantly on the move from the wind. The best example of wind is in the White Sands National Monument in New Mexico. The sand is actually graphite, white and granular. I would always use a tripod or monopod. The setting sun was always spectacular, you would think it was snow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies