Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd October 2021, 02:35 PM
Friend

Question Leitz V35

Hi everyone, I have only just joined FADU and am just getting used to how big it is. I have had a 25 year lap in doing my own P and D and am just starting to get the hang of it back.
I was lucky enough recently to be able to purchase a Leitz V35 and would like any advice from other users of this enlarger. One minor problem I have is loading negs into the holder, they seem to wander. Can anyone tell me if I am missing something. Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd October 2021, 03:25 PM
Friend

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Sorry, I don't know the answer because I use Durst but have you looked here?
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 22nd October 2021, 09:16 PM
Friend

Default Leitz V35

You have got a very good enlarger! The negative carriers that I had on mine (a long while ago) the carrier had pins that kept the negative in place. I am assuming that you have the one with no glass on the bottom and anti Newton Ring glass on the top.

If you think that something is missing the best place I know to ask about them is Second Hand Darkroom who are based in Oxfordshire. The telephone number is 01993 878323.

However, there may be a problem - long term. Correct replacement bulbs are unobtainable. The one made especially for the V35 went out of stock almost everywhere. There was a supplier in Holland that had some but they seen to have gone out of business. A similar one with correct pin fitting in the base are available but are reputed to give a lower light output, possibly due to the difference between the light-source filament not in the ideal position.

I have done a search on the web and the correct original bulb was a Philips 6604 or later models a Philips 13139. Ones that will possibly fit is an Osram 064615 but as I remembered there was a comment that they are about 2 stops slower, so making a 20x16 maximum enlargement size a long process. There was someone on the web could alter the base with the 2 pins so that the bulb was in the correct position in the holder. I have looked, but at the moment I cannot find the article. Sorry.

I do believe that it is possible to adapt an LED bulb to work in the V35. That may be a better long term idea.

Last edited by John King; 22nd October 2021 at 09:41 PM.
Old 23rd October 2021, 10:56 AM
Friend

Default Neg. Alignment.

Thanks John. I have read a lot about the problem with obtaining replacement bulbs for the V35, I have bought the Osram replacement and put it in my spares drawer (I hope I don't have to use it too soon). As for the neg. alignment it would have been a good idea to include two locating pins at the bottom of the neg.as well as at the top.
Old 23rd October 2021, 11:08 AM
Friend

Default Leitz V35 Neg. alignment.

Hi Marty, I have looked at the website you suggested, and, although very useful and informative, it does not give anything specific to neg. alignment. thanks for your response.
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:52 PM
Friend

I have a V35, and have used it for around 10 years. The person who sold it to me advised that you should align the negative, then squeeze the two tabs at the front of the holder to keep it in place whilst inserting the unit in the enlarger. I don’t know if that was official Leitz practice, but it never really worked for me. My own practice is to insert the carrier first, then slide the film strip in. Once roughly aligned, close the clamp. If the negative position then requires adjustment, pressing the clamp lever down gently should release the pressure enough to move the negative into the frame. Releasing it clamps the film strip in place. The aperture in the standard carrier is designed for negatives produced in Leica cameras. Some other cameras produce slightly smaller negatives, which can be a nuisance. Using the format masks, if they work, can help, or simply raise the head a bit so that your image area fills the printing area on the easel. The masking blades are a useful feature, but they tend to fail eventually. I bought the plastic troughs that attach to either side of the carrier. They are meant to hold any film that hangs out either side of the carrier. Perhaps you have them already. They make the carrier easier to handle. I bought mine from Mr Cad in London. They had some at the time. It might be worth contacting them if you need any bits, or Secondhand Darkroom.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 23rd October 2021, 01:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
enlargement size a long process. There was someone on the web could alter the base with the 2 pins so that the bulb was in the correct position in the holder. I have looked, but at the moment I cannot find the article. Sorry.
I still cannot find the article but I found a note I made at the time in case I needed to modify the bulb. (Unfortunately I didn't record the bulb part number).

These bulbs that needed modifying have a wedge on the ceramic base and after temporarily removing the reflector the ceramic 'wedge' shaped molding was either ground away or cut away using a dremmel. These bulbs apparently have the filament in the exact position so there is no loss of light for the exposure
Old 24th October 2021, 09:25 AM
Friend

Default Plastic Troughs for V35.

Thanks for the advice Alex. I have tried to adjust the negative whilst the holder is on the enlarger but find that it is like trying to write with your left hand when you are right handed, but, I assume, practice makes perfect. As for the plastic troughs you mention, it has been suggested to me that they are not a particularly good thing as they could lead to scratched negs. I imagine there would be a necessity to keep them ultra dust free.
Old 24th October 2021, 10:00 AM
Friend

I see from the manual that both squeezing the tabs on the carrier itself, and depressing the pressure-plate levers are actually mentioned by Leitz. I tend to get the film in place, then depress either right or left lever (whichever is more convenient)with one hand, whilst positioning the negative with the the other. It shouldn’t matter whether you are right or left handed as there are levers on either side.
I’ve had the plastic troughs ever since I bought the enlarger, and I can safely say that they have never caused any damage. If you are loading the carrier outwith the enlarger, they hold it up off the work surface, which makes it easier to handle.
It took me a bit of time to adjust to the differences in operating this enlarger, as opposed to my Durst M601, but it’s worth persevering.
Alex.

Old 24th October 2021, 10:19 AM
Friend

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies