Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th April 2013, 06:38 PM
Friend

I currently use Ilford MG dev and replenish according to Ilford instructions. In effect and as long as you are doing a few prints say twice or three times a week, your dev is always fresh as you can be turning over 1L(I have the 10x8 Nova) completely in a few days or at least you have replenished such a big portion of the 1L that it is like new developer.

On the other hand if you do batch printing such as you do, John, then there may be an argument for exhausting the dev and then dumping.

I started out using Nova's own dev and very good it was too. It seemed to keep very well as you might expect from a dev presumably designed for its own processor. It was usable at a range of temps, again as you might expect, given that it was used in a temp controlled processor and the container gave times for higher temp usage. If you needed to do a large batch of say 5x7's then at the top temp you could process in as little as about 35-40 sec and with 1+4 fix(30 secs), a print could be processed in about 1 min 20 secs and then into the washer so one print to completion including washing in about 2 mins 30 sec. I am referring to RC paper only of course.

So why did I change? Well if I recall the Nova stuff was only available in 1 L and I probably just wanted to see if Ilford MG dev did anything better - it didn't- but I just stuck with it.

Maybe time I tried something else, hence my questions on Ethol LPD.

Mike
Old 18th April 2013, 10:32 PM
Friend

When using FB paper in the Nova, it surprised me how much replenishment is needed to keep the level correct, because the paper absorbs so much. The levels in fixer etc don't change much, but it's an indication of how much time (and some agitation) it takes to get the chemicals out of the paper. I mix 3L of working solution from my home made concentrated ID-78: 2L for the slot, the balance for replenishment. Then I start again.
Old 18th April 2013, 11:41 PM
Friend

To Jon Butler- GREAT website. Some of your images have a fabulous tonal range. One or two have the 'edgy' look that comes from masking. Are you doing darkroom unsharp and contrast masking (in the style of Lynn Radeka)??
Anyway, back on topic- I completely agree on fresh chemistry. Made my first darkroom print in the (ahem) 1970's. However, never come across a 'one tray' method. Not sure it's something I need, but, any further comment?
Old 19th April 2013, 12:17 AM
Friend

Lloyd Erlick has some articles at this web site:

http://www.heylloyd.com/toc.htm

Go to "technical articles".

While you're there, have a look at his portraits!

If I ever want to make a print bigger than my Nova (12x16) I would have to use single tray processing. I did it once with 40inch roll paper and home made tray (timber frame, ply bottom, plastic sheet to seal it). I was stronger then, and had a bigger shed.
Old 19th April 2013, 01:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Butler View Post
Although I do own two 20x16 Nova's... I dislike them for B&W. There use is not the way to a fine print.
Thanks for your reply to my question Jon and I can see the difference in point when making 'fine prints' to maybe the occasional RC print that the most of us do with our Novas, which is where they excel.

Thanks to all the other replies since = it's been an interesting thread to follow.

Terry S
Old 19th April 2013, 05:59 PM
Friend

I am always at a loss to understand when the subject of Nova processors comes up why everybody assumes you don't have to change the chemicals, just keep on using the same batch for ever. If you want fresh chemicals every day then have fresh chemicals every day just the same way as you do with trays. That's your choice and your decision not a requiement of Nova. To my mind the main advantages of a Nova processor are the saving in space and the temperature control. The decision to change the chemicals for fresh is made for the same reason as you would for trays trays. If you want to use the chemicals in trays for longer periods stick them in a bottle at the end of the session with some protective gas. Your choice.

Tony
Old 19th April 2013, 11:11 PM
Friend

Default Nova print processing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
When using FB paper in the Nova, it surprised me how much replenishment is needed to keep the level correct, because the paper absorbs so much. The levels in fixer etc don't change much, but it's an indication of how much time (and some agitation) it takes to get the chemicals out of the paper. I mix 3L of working solution from my home made concentrated ID-78: 2L for the slot, the balance for replenishment. Then I start again.
I do intend to use fibre bases paper in the future, but given this high developer absorbtion rate I wonder about if there could be a carry over problem in the efficiency of the stop bath and fixer through contamination?

I not thinking of dumping my developing trays and I am keen to learn more about masking and other techniques.

On replenishers, as a student all those years ago, when working as a Gevaert lab technician in my hols, I remember when mixing fresh solutions after machine cleaning. The replenishers were made to a slightly different formula. Testing was done on an hourly basis and minor adjectments were made straight into the tanks of the processor to adjust the pH of the solutions. We were kept quite busy.
Old 19th April 2013, 11:18 PM
Administrator

The fibre paper will absorb just as much developer in trays. The same issues occur whichever method you use. Keep a check on your stop-bath pH (or use a stop with indicator) and give longer in the stop-bath than you would for RC paper.
Old 20th April 2013, 08:43 AM
Friend

You also need special holders for FB papers when using the Nova's Alan. I initially tried using the standard pin paper holders, but the majority of the time, the FB papers tore and the paper fell into the chemicals and then had to be fished out with tongs!

Terry S
Old 20th April 2013, 10:00 AM
Friend

Quote:
You also need special holders for FB papers when using the Nova's.
Fibre papers are a bit more fragile but I have used the standard clips on fibre paper (16x12) for years and never really had a proplem just have to be a bit gentle in handling. I think one method to reduce the risk is to use two clips. The purpose made clips for fibre paper are too thick to fit in the slot of a standard tank, they only fit the fibre tank with wider slots which also needs a greater volume of chemicals.
Another way to reduce the risk with standard clips is to file back the stop on the clip a little so that the two pins pierce the paper a bit further back from the edge of the paper say a millemetre or two extra. A suggestion made by someone previously on the forum.

Tony
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies