Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th October 2019, 10:45 AM
Banned

Default I am an "Optimist"

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscn0642.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	3434  
Old 27th October 2019, 07:14 PM
Friend

That will be a lot of developer - and if it goes wrong, a lot of film...!
Old 28th October 2019, 08:34 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
That will be a lot of developer - and if it goes wrong, a lot of film...!
I had an earlier System 4 multi reel tank - the largest - and as gently rapped it on the darkroom bench it split, most of the films were partially fogged. To make it worse it was a commercial shoot for a model.

Since then I've kept away from the taller tanks, often I'd be processing around 20 rolls of film a session.

Ian
Old 28th October 2019, 01:27 PM
Banned

Actually I bought it for film washing.

Being on meter now like many I don't let the water run, I wash the film in this, remembering that water is a finite and valuable resource and these days we have the intelligence to know that unlike 40 years ago.

Therefore https://emulsive.org/articles/save-t...ing-kinematics

In fact I had been washing film like this when I was 17, and here I place the film in the tank and agitate it as stated, but can do up to 7 if needed, then it all tips into a bucket that FILLS the downstair toilet.

Old 29th October 2019, 01:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannik View Post
Actually I bought it for film washing.

Being on meter now like many I don't let the water run, I wash the film in this, remembering that water is a finite and valuable resource and these days we have the intelligence to know that unlike 40 years ago.

Therefore https://emulsive.org/articles/save-t...ing-kinematics

In fact I had been washing film like this when I was 17, and here I place the film in the tank and agitate it as stated, but can do up to 7 if needed, then it all tips into a bucket that FILLS the downstair toilet.

I’m allergic to the Emulsive website or, rather, the hipsters who write for it and think they’re inventing the wheel. Take the author of the article you referenced. His conclusion?

“Now going back to ILFORD’s film washing recommendations, it is clear that it is in line with the above recommendations and makes more sense with the info we have now that we understand what is going on.”

Nice to know that Ilford just got it right by pure chance when they suggested their archival washing method decades ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29th October 2019, 02:27 PM
Banned

As I say I have been washing film like this since I was 17, preparing for the water meter days

Old 29th October 2019, 02:49 PM
Friend

I’m allergic to the Emulsive website or, rather, the hipsters who write for it and think they’re inventing the wheel. Take the author of the article you referenced. His conclusion?

“Now going back to ILFORD’s film washing recommendations, it is clear that it is in line with the above recommendations and makes more sense with the info we have now that we understand what is going on.”

Nice to know that Ilford just got it right by pure chance when they suggested their archival washing method decades ago.

Brock Ditto
Old 29th October 2019, 04:59 PM
Friend

Same here, Brock. It raises my hackles as well but the photography world is full of these types now. Most of the new communication medium of podcasts seem to consist of two characters entertaining themselves for two hours rather than informing and educating their public in what might be a true content of 10 minutes.

I am tempted as a fair person to say that it might just be me getting older but while this is true about my ageing I reluctantly and gloomily conclude that the changes for the worse that I detect have little to do with my age. They are in the main with notable exceptions genuine changes for the worse.

Mike

Mike
Old 29th October 2019, 06:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Same here, Brock. It raises my hackles as well but the photography world is full of these types now. Most of the new communication medium of podcasts seem to consist of two characters entertaining themselves for two hours rather than informing and educating their public in what might be a true content of 10 minutes.

I am tempted as a fair person to say that it might just be me getting older but while this is true about my ageing I reluctantly and gloomily conclude that the changes for the worse that I detect have little to do with my age. They are in the main with notable exceptions genuine changes for the worse.

Mike

Mike
Not sure that I’d hire you as a motivational speaker Mike.

BUT I 100% agree with you.

Before anyone asks - yes, I am a pensioner
Old 30th October 2019, 05:11 PM
Friend

I’m proud to say Emulsive is the only site on the internet where I’ve been banned. Over-reacted to a hipster developing his first roll of HP5 and then proceeding to tell all the other hipsters all about its faults. Self-awareness isn’t a big thing for the Emulsive crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies