Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd September 2020, 07:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Looks interesting Terry. For my non existent knowledge of Instax film, how does this back operate? It mentions an automatic film advance and needs 4 AA batteries Do both these thing indicate that what goes in the back is a pack of 4x5 films which are ejected one by one after exposure then peeled apart to reveal post the peeling action a developed 4x5 colour film?

Thanks

Mike
Lomo have a quick demonstration video on Vimeo which should clarify things:

https://vimeo.com/452255721

I found it helpful because I still get a tad confused about which roll film backs and the like will and won't work with my Calumet C400.

Regarding the cost, Lomo makes a point of spruiking the ability to check lighting and composition, etc. in the same way Polaroids were in the past, quickly and cheaply. I simply don't find that to be true. I bought 10 x 10 packs of Instax Mini and, even in bulk, I still find my Arista EDU Ultra 4x5 film to be a better return on investment.
I suppose anyone using colour sheet film would beg to differ!
My thought on the price difference between the black and white instant films and the colour offerings MAY have something to do with the severe colour casts the earlier offerings of black and white instant films had. Colour fidelity was never really a concern with the colour films - weirdness touted as a feature, not a bug!
Pure speculation and poorly articulated to boot. At any rate, I hope some sense can be wrung from that last paragraph.
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:06 PM
Friend

Thanks Molli. One of the drawbacks from the video it would seem with either single sheet film or an instax pack is that while there are 10 in the pack it may not be any quicker than single darkslide loading as you need to remove the whole back to re-focus on the ground glass each time

To a 4x5 user this will be obvious but to someone like me with no knowledge I had somehow made the jump to the false conclusion that a pack of Instax allowed you to fire more quickly.

I suppose that if you have the likes of a Calart rangefinder you can dispense with focusing on the ground glass so it might be quicker than reloading separate sheets with darkslides

Of course you still have the advantage of an instant 4x5 developed sheet but not presumably an instant print as I assume what comes out is a negative or is it a positive print and the word "film" in the context of Instax film is not what we think of as normal film negative?

Thanks

Mike
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:52 AM
Friend

just had another look at it and there must be ways of fitting to other cameras ??????
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Of course you still have the advantage of an instant 4x5 developed sheet but not presumably an instant print as I assume what comes out is a negative or is it a positive print and the word "film" in the context of Instax film is not what we think of as normal film negative?

Thanks

Mike
It’s a positive print Mike
Regards
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInElland View Post
It’s a positive print Mike
Regards
Thanks Dave. So effectively it is a one-off as there would seem to be no way of making duplicates, as indeed there was not to the best of my knowledge with the old polaroids.

Mike
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:31 AM
Friend

Quote:
Thanks Dave. So effectively it is a one-off as there would seem to be no way of making duplicates, as indeed there was not to the best of my knowledge with the old polaroids.

Mike
Spot on Mike
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:35 AM
Friend

It’s not bad for an instant film ... certainly lots of fun to play with

https://www.flickr.com/photos/father...7709986847272/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/father...7709986847272/
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:29 AM
Friend

Just thinking about it, can a film be put in and exchanged in this back half way through the pack i.e. exchange for colour to b/w and back again part way through a pack, or does one have to use a whole pack before putting a different one in?

I don't know much about the old Polaroid backs, which probably worked the same way?

Terry S
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:55 AM
Friend

I only have experience of the Polaroid 545i back and that was single shot - I was using Type 55 film, one sheet at a time. And a Vision camera that used a film pack which you couldn't change - I have a feeling that there was only one film type available anyway.
The LOMOGraflok back, it seems to me, to rely on a film pack and you'll not be able to change the film type mid-flight, in the same way that you couldn't change the film in the SX-70 or the Vision cameras. You'd have to treat the back as a kind of magazine if you wanted colour and black & white, one for each film type. Just like a medium format camera, or the Rolleiflex 3003.
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:56 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Just thinking about it, can a film be put in and exchanged in this back half way through the pack i.e. exchange for colour to b/w and back again part way through a pack, or does one have to use a whole pack before putting a different one in?

I don't know much about the old Polaroid backs, which probably worked the same way?

Terry S
Short answer not really.

HOWEVER, taking pack out part way is apparently possible using a changing bag but it’s fiddly:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...-camera.99909/
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies