Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th January 2021, 08:27 PM
Friend

Default Which Photographer?

Last night, apropos of nothing my good lady suddenly asked "If you could spend the day with any photographer, ever, who would it be?"
Not being prepared for this question my immediate answer was Edward Weston. I've always loved the simplicity and clarity of his images. I'd happily carry his bag for a day to see him work, and the bonus would be to see him printing. His images show an astounding control of light and shadow.
Today, I find myself thinking about Karsh- I'm not a portraitist, and would be intrigued to see an old-school master of that craft at work. Like Weston, his photographs too show extra-ordinary control of tonality.

Of course, the longer you think about this the more names will spring up- I've considered Don McCullin (what kept him sane and working?) Andre Kertesz (what an eye for detail, such kind and gentle images).

Who would you pick?
Old 4th January 2021, 09:07 PM
Friend

If I had to choose one it would probably be Fay Godwin. As well as being an accomplished photographer she loved simplicity, not carrying around tons of gear. She was also passionate about the landscape itself and campaigned on many environmental and access issues. If I could go back further in time it would be Peter Henry Emerson who worked locally to me in the Fens and Norfolk broads, recording a landscape and life that has changed beyond recognition.
Old 4th January 2021, 10:41 PM
Friend

An easy choice for me. I would have been delighted to have spent a day with my favourite photographer, the late James Ravilious.

Alan
Old 4th January 2021, 10:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Last night, apropos of nothing my good lady suddenly asked "If you could spend the day with any photographer, ever, who would it be?"
Not being prepared for this question my immediate answer was Edward Weston.
If my good lady asked such a question off the cuff so to speak I'd realise that it may not be so off the cuff so the answer would be " No-one if it meant one day less with you"

You could then add but: on a purely metaphorical basis it might be X

On a more serious level.... No wait a minute, I haven't got a more serious level. Well I suppose it might be what they could tell me of their experiences in their photographic lives so the likes of Don McCullin or the late Larry Burrows but this would be about the actual experience rather than anything in terms of photographic skills

Philistinism rules OK

Mike
Old 5th January 2021, 12:12 AM
Friend

Brett Weston.

I picked up his book, "Photographs from five decades, an Aperture monograph" as a Christmas present to myself together with Edward Weston: fifty years.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 5th January 2021, 12:18 AM
Friend

its got to be David bailey I would love to spend a day with him ,I am at this moment reading his book, look again .
Old 5th January 2021, 09:06 AM
Friend

Kertész.
Old 5th January 2021, 01:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
If I had to choose one it would probably be Fay Godwin. As well as being an accomplished photographer she loved simplicity, not carrying around tons of gear. She was also passionate about the landscape itself and campaigned on many environmental and access issues. If I could go back further in time it would be Peter Henry Emerson who worked locally to me in the Fens and Norfolk broads, recording a landscape and life that has changed beyond recognition.
I had the pleasure of spending around 5 days with Fay Godwin on a workshop at Paul Hill's Photogtraphers Place in the Peak District. As I knew the area I tarvelled in Fay's car on the field trips, her car was literally her camera bag. She had to make room so I could sit on the front seat

Not sure who I choose now, I think in the past it would have been Minor White.

Ian
Old 5th January 2021, 03:08 PM
Friend

Probably Michael Kenna, and from the past Brett Weston.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 5th January 2021, 03:29 PM
Friend

interesting to see a couple of mentions for Fay Godwin.
The first book of photographs I ever bought was Remains of Elmet. I don't think I ever actually read much of the poetry (Sorry, Ted Hughes) but have never forgotten the photographs. It also prompted me to buy a Yashicamat, as Fay's images opened my eyes to the square format: it just looked so balanced and somehow 'peaceful' . Square is probably still my preferred image shape.

James Ravillious- great choice.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies