Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Meetings

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th January 2013, 02:40 PM
Friend

Default London gathering

LONDON GATHERING
Friday 16th August to Sunday 18th August 2013

Happy New Year all

On the last few gatherings, the idea of a get-together in London has been brought up, but nothing ever materialized, probably because the consensus was that it would be far too expensive to put something together in the city, with the inflated cost of hotels etc. After a suggestion from Neil Souch to check out Travel Lodges, I found that providing a room is booked well in advance, they can be very affordable.
So, after a few online conversations with Neil, and a few telephone conversations with Jon Butler, this would be a proposed plan for a London gathering. The venue would be the Travel Lodge at Tower Bridge. The price per person per night will be £38, providing booked in advance. More info can be found here:

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/3...el/rooms-rates

I can’t believe that the hotel is going to provide 4 star accommodation, but the hotel is in a great location, with many of the local attractions within walking distance, or a very short tube ride away, such as St Katherine’s Dock, Tower Bridge, the South Bank, Tate Modern, the Millennium Bridge and St Pauls, and not forgetting Canary Wharf. Also, and importantly, there is a wonderful exhibition on up town, the Natural History Museum hosts Sebastiao Salgado’s first showing of his new body of work called “Genesis”. This will be a huge exhibition of some 250 images that have been eight years in the making, and London gets the first showing before it travels worldwide. The Exhibition is showing from April 11th to September 8th. More info here:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-...sis/index.html

Those of you that are fortunate to spend time in the city will know that life is fast, and there is always little time to take in the surroundings, so this gathering will be the perfect opportunity to do just that. There is something truly magical about the city, and my hair on the back of my neck still stands on end when I cross the Thames, and look down river from one of the many bridges. We will also be very fortunate to be joined by Jon Butler who has a great knowledge of the area, and has offered to join me in planning a weekend to remember, with wonderful photo walks along the South Bank, great venues, with wonderful photo opportunities. A suggested itinerary could be as follows:

Friday ~ Meet up in the Hotel for the usual social gathering, general chit chat and photo talk.

Saturday ~ After breakfast we can be perhaps head towards St Katherine’s Dock, which is a beautiful part of London, spending a bit of time making photographs, then head over Tower Bridge to the South bank, and on to the Tate Modern, which is a wonderful building in itself, and makes for some great images. After a coffee or two, some more time can be spent making photographs along the South Bank, and then perhaps head over the Millennium Bridge towards St Pauls. Perhaps then make the short journey by tube to take in the Salgado exhibition, or one of the many exhibitions that may be showing locally at the time, perhaps in the OXO Tower. The Evening can be spent sharing prints back at the Hotel, along with the usual general chit chat. Of course we will all need to eat at some point!

Sunday ~ This can be pretty much the same, perhaps heading to Canary Wharf, again a wonderfully photographic part of London, or it may be decided that this would be the best day for visiting the Salgado exhibition, whatever is decided, I am sure it will make for a great weekend.

So, what do you think, fancy joining us?

If so, here are a few things to remember…………

Booking the hotel early is recommended. At present, the rates for the weekend of 16th/18th August are £38 a night. This would be non-returnable. If you wish to cover yourself in case of a cancellation, then your room will cost £70 a night (booking now), but is returnable up to noon on your day of arrival. You make your choice.
The earlier you book, the less you pay. If you booked just prior to the gathering, a room would be about £87 per night, but if you book approximately.....

1 month before and it would be £70pn
6 weeks before and it would be £50pn
8 weeks before and it would be £46pn
10 weeks before and you would then pay the £38pn, so providing you book early June you will be getting the cheapest rates.

It would not be advisable to travel in by car as there is no parking at the hotel, but there is a site nearby: The cost is £2 an Hour Monday to Saturday, and £2 on Sunday, so could work out rather expensive.

The cost of the hotel room does not include breakfast, which will be £7.65 for an all you can eat breakfast, but this can be paid for at the time of booking for a saving of £1.

It would be better for those that wish to take in the Salgado Exhibition to decide whether it will be visited on the Saturday, or the Sunday, as it is a ticketed exhibition, so will need to be booked in advance.

It would be advisable to leave your tripod at home. It’s not illegal to take photographs in London, but it is illegal to block a public highway. You will be moved on. That said, I am sure that you would get away with it a little later in the day on the Riverside.

Attending so far are

Stoo Batchelor
Jon Butler
Neil Souch
Barry Wilkinson
Bob

Possibly Maybe’s
Bill Spears
Mark Burley
Leo Stehlik

Traveling in for the day

Paul Enters (PaulBJE)

So what do you think? Come along and join us, even for just a day.There is no prejudice as to what camera is hanging around your neck, or even if you only use an I-phone. This is a great opportunity to meet new faces, share in a wonderful location, and see some fabulous prints if you are still about for the print share.

We would love to have you along.

Stoo Batchelor
Old 4th January 2013, 06:08 PM
Friend

Stoo - just a gentle reminder that a lot of the Canary Wharf Estateis private property and you can be asked not to take photos. On the South Bank you have Borough Market which provides: a) great photo opportunities and b) great food. I go up a few times each month and it is always interesting.

Last edited by MPerson; 4th January 2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 4th January 2013, 06:27 PM
Friend

Yes we will be going to Borough Market on South Bank walk.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 4th January 2013, 11:06 PM
Friend

Put me down as a Maybe with a tripod in one hand and a copy of the riot act in the other
Old 5th January 2013, 12:10 AM
Friend

I'm sure I'll be able to join in on the Saturday or Sunday or maybe both. But I'll catch the train in rather than stay over.
Old 5th January 2013, 03:51 PM
Friend

Thanks Andy

Yes, I was aware. I think it's all about being sensible and aware of your surroundings. I have actually used a tripod looking up at the Canary Wharf building, with one eye on the camera and one eye on security, but I would have been quite happy to be moved on if told to.

I have never been to Borough market, so that is one to look forward to.

Cheers

Stoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPerson View Post
Stoo - just a gentle reminder that a lot of the Canary Wharf Estateis private property and you can be asked not to take photos. On the South Bank you have Borough Market which provides: a) great photo opportunities and b) great food. I go up a few times each month and it is always interesting.
Old 5th January 2013, 03:52 PM
Friend

That's great Paul, it will good to have you along.

Stoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
Put me down as a Maybe with a tripod in one hand and a copy of the riot act in the other
Old 5th January 2013, 03:54 PM
Friend

Great, the more the merrier.

I will look forward to meeting you, and others, and putting faces to names.

Cheers

Stoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
I'm sure I'll be able to join in on the Saturday or Sunday or maybe both. But I'll catch the train in rather than stay over.
Old 5th January 2013, 04:06 PM
Friend

Having moved a few years ago, but having lived close to Canary Wharf for about 20 years, despite being an electric buggy / wheelchair user, I too was told NOT to use a tripod = 'in case anyone fell over it...'

If they couldn't see me before they saw the tripod they had no hope then!

BUT, if you apply to someone in advance (you'd have to look this up as it's been many years and the request was typed on letter headed photo-club paper back then, but how easy is that to do now a days?!?!!?), stating that is was for personal reasons and not for publication or syndication etc you could book a day out for the security to leave you alone WITH your tripod.

I think they just don't want numerous people turning up unannounced each day, especially in the tourist season.

BTW, ONE security person did approach me but was fine when I showed him my permit / bit of faxed paper which I picked up from reception, which in turn was sent from one of the anonymous offices. Today I presume that it would be emailed across.

Terry S
Old 5th January 2013, 04:12 PM
Friend

Updated attendance list for London Gathering

Attending so far are

Stoo Batchelor
Jon Butler
Neil Souch
Barry Wilkinson
Bob

Possibly Maybe’s

Bill Spears
Mark Burley
Leo Stehlik
paulc

Traveling in for the day (s)

Paul Enters (PaulBJE)
Xpres
Alan Jones

Nearer the time I will be asking the question as to what is the best day for all to visit the Sebastiao Salgado exhibition, bearing in mind that the Museum is open from 10.00 to 17.50 daily, some friends will be travelling in for the day, and also that those choosing to stay in the hotel for only the two nights will be vacating their rooms on the Sunday morning, though most hotels do let you store baggage/luggage for the day. I will phone the hotel and keep you updated here on the Forum.

Cheers

Stoo
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies