Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd May 2013, 02:05 PM
Friend

Default the good old fp4

As we have been discussing old fp4 is there an equivalent film to the old fp4 on the market at the moment ,the base is a lot clearer on the old film ..maybe Ilford could make a limited run of the old film ,just to cheer me up ..
I know that some people my be thinking why??? its just that I miss the look of the finished print from the old fp4 ,that doesn't mean to say I don't like the fp4 plus but it would be nice to use the old stuff now and again

www.essexcockney.com
Old 3rd May 2013, 04:48 PM
Friend

Just a thought to help..

Would Kentmere fit the bill?
Old 4th May 2013, 04:03 PM
Friend

Kodak's TMX has a clear base. But of course it is quite a different film.
Old 7th May 2013, 05:37 AM
Friend

Ilford Pan 100 ?
Old 7th May 2013, 10:13 AM
Friend

I use FP4 plus in 135 and 120 sizes and have noticed, and often wondered why the 120 version is much clearer than the 135. I process both identically in ID-11 1+1
Old 7th May 2013, 11:57 AM
Friend

I've got a couple of 100ft rolls of old 35mm FP4 that I picked up on eBay for about 20 quid each.

It's at least 23 years old (considering they quit making it in 1990), no idea of actual expiration date (there's nothing printed on the cans to indicate), but it works pretty good. I dev in Ilfotec LC29.
Old 7th May 2013, 08:27 PM
Friend

well Ian you are right fp4 plus 120film base is clear the old 35mm fp4 base has a greenie tinge to it (as I see it)and the new 35mm fp4 plus is the darkest ,but what other changes they done to the new fp4 plus I don't know....
kaouthia I haven't got the courage to buy old film you must be a gambling man to take a chance but as my luck goes it would all be knackered, and I would have the hump for two weeks ,,but as they say who dares wins ...

www.essexcockney.com
Old 8th May 2013, 05:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
kaouthia I haven't got the courage to buy old film you must be a gambling man to take a chance but as my luck goes it would all be knackered, and I would have the hump for two weeks ,,but as they say who dares wins ...
For 20-ish quid, I figure it's worth a punt. I load up the first roll, and just bracket the shots to determine the actual speed of the film now.

It's supposed to be ISO125, so, I'll grab my Sekonic, meter for ISO200, plug those settings into the camera, and then keep extending my shutter by 1/3rd of a stop each shot until the whole roll's used up.

Once they're developed and dried, I can look at them all on the lightbox to determine the actual ISO of the film and what to meter for to get a decent exposure on the rest of that roll.

It is, as you say, a bit of a gamble though. I picked up one roll of PANF that has a thick fog all across the middle of it (like film that's not been fixed properly), so it's pretty useless.

But, overall, with the amount of good film I've gotten vs. what it's cost me (I have about 900ft of film here at the mo - PANF, FP4, FP4+, HP5, Tri-X, T-Max, Rollei Retro 100), I'm still up on the deal even after wasting a roll of PANF. The best deal I can get on fresh FP4+ (or any Ilford bulk 35mm) is £54 for a 100ft roll from a local place.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies