Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th September 2017, 02:47 PM
Friend

Default K W Patent Etui Project

I have purchased a Patent Etui with a Rollex Patent roll film back, but both the camera and back are in a sorry state. I will have to make a catch for the lens mount frame to click onto the front of the tail board and the film back is a rusty mess. I can refurbish the back but there is a part missing from the camera. The combined viewfinder and bubble level is missing, does this viewfinder fold down flat when not in use? Has anyone got one of these cameras? Mine is fitted with a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar lens 1:4.5 f 10.5cm. is this a good lens? The shutter is a compur 1/250. What plate holders fit the Patent Etui and is it possible to make a spacer and use sheet film instead of glass plates? I also need to make a ground glass focusing screen if I go down the sheet film route.Thank you in advance.
Old 4th September 2017, 03:22 PM
Friend

It sounds like a good lens and shutter. Once you work out plate size, you can get film inserts for the plate holders. They are metal envelopes that hold the film inside the plate holder. You can make a ground glass screen, or buy one ready-made. There's some info online about diy screens.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 4th September 2017, 04:46 PM
Friend

Norm, I have some genuine KW 6.5x9 plate holders, eithr 6 or 9 they are in cases of three, I may have some film inserts as well - these convert plate holders to take cut film, I'm away at the moment so can't check.

The 10.5cm Tessar is a reasonably good lens, assuming it's the older dial set Compur shutter be careful the speed dial must only be moved in the one direction as per the arrow.

I have two 9x12 Patent Etui's i think I showed you one of them, great little cameras.

Ian
Old 13th September 2017, 07:45 PM
Friend

Norm, I've not yet looked for the 9 6.5x9 KW plate holders (I know I have them safe). I think I have a 6.5x9 KW film pack holder as well, these can be converted into ground glass focus screen holders if needed.

Today I found I have about a dozen 6.5x9 film inserts to allow cut film to be used in plate holders.

One thing I'd say about KW products is how well designed and made they are. Apart from my two 9x12 Patent Etui cameras I have a post WWII KW Praktina FX a 35mm SLR, it's way ahead of other camera of it's time (about 1954). It's built like a Leica. Despite being made in East Geramany it's high precision unlike Exactas (I have 3), they were also the first full system cameras taking two different motor drives one electric the other clockwork, as well as a 100ft/30m film back.

If I've anything you need let me know.

Ian
Old 18th November 2017, 11:08 PM
Friend

I found this post looking for information on my recently acquired 9 x 12 Patent Etui. Ian would you have any spare KW plate holders and film inserts for the 9 x 12 ?
Also could you recommend a suitable roll film back ?
Many thanks Carl
Old 30th July 2018, 03:42 PM
Friend

Default Rollex Patent film back loading

My Etui is now ready to use, I loaded an old film in the Rollex Patent film back turning the winder anti-clockwise. The film winds on with the black side of the film backing paper on the outside is this correct?
Old 31st July 2018, 08:20 AM
Friend

No but that depends on how you look at it, the black side of the backing paper is against the back of the film, I guess what you mean is the printed side is against the pressure plate which is correct so you can read the numbers through the small window.

With the film insert separate the paper backing leader faces out so you've loaded it correctly, so the film will be on the camera side when wound on enough, with the insert in the back and the darkslide in place.

Ian
Old 31st July 2018, 09:16 AM
Friend

I have the film emulsion facing the right way and I can see the numbers on the backing paper through the red window. When the film is finished and fully wound onto the take up spool the backing paper has the numbers on the inside and the black side paper and emulsion side of film facing outwards. Not a problem but it just seems wrong

Last edited by GoodOldNorm; 31st July 2018 at 09:29 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies