Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th March 2018, 09:14 PM
Friend

Default Has anyone shot of Holga 120CFN Medium Format?

Been looking at this camera as a way to introduce myself to medium format and looked at some images online which look incredible. If you have shot on this camera would you mind sharing some raw (unedited) photo's so I can see what it's like?
Old 11th March 2018, 10:13 PM
Friend

Hi gsingh.
Haven't noticed you here for a while, good to see you around.
I haven't used the Holga.
It's very much a roll film point-and-shoot. If you just want to get a feel for the medium it might be a fun experience.
You have been shooting 35mm for a while, so you might want a bit more control than the Holga offers.
Something like-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AGFA-Isol...sAAOSw3HlamaXu

Folds up, drops in a pocket, focus down to 1m, guesstimate your exposure by sunny 16. If you can spend a little more, maybe consider a TLR like a Yashicamat or Seagull. That takes you to a different level of quality and control.
Hopefully someone will come along with some experience of the Holga.

ps- have you thought about what you'll do with the negatives- darkroom print? Or are you planning lab processing and scan??
Old 12th March 2018, 12:47 PM
Friend

I have never used a Holga, it is pretty much in the toy camera type, for a start in MF you would be better getting an old folder camera, there are a lot around, and mostly very reasonably priced, and woul give a better feeling for MF, more control, and by far better negatives, take it from one who knows, I have used mostly folders for around 15 years, for MF work, apart from 3 TLR'S i use folders for most of my work, The only suggestion is to buy from a dealer, such as Simon at Collectable Cameras http://collectablecameras.com who I can heartily reccomend, I have dealt with him for as long as I have been buying old cameras, he is very easy to talk to and knows his stuff, The other thing is to start I would not get a Agfa camera such as the Issolette, for some reason Agfa used a composite plastic material for their bellows and I have bought a few Agfas and every one I have either had to repair the bellows or fit new ones, never on any other folder, as far as quality of results, there is nothing to choose between a folder and a TLR, stopped down to 8 to 11 even with a triplet lens you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between a Rolleiflex/rolleicord or a Microcord compared to the folder,
Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 12th March 2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12th March 2018, 01:12 PM
Friend

If you go to the gallery on this site and then to the toy gallery, a search for Holga brings up quite a few pictures by members using this camera:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...searchid=61376

I too have one that I use occasionally and they are great fun for what they are.

Using mine for the first time, the back of it fell off and I had to put it back on with elastic bands to make it stay there. This should give you an idea of quality! LOL.

The one main thing that people seem to like though is the central area usually being in focus with the outside edges being blurry to certain degrees. Each camera will be different.

Look around for the best price as they can vary enormously in price for the same camera, from cheap-ish to ridiculously over priced!

But most of all they are a fun camera to use with unknown results at the end.

If you buy one I'm sure you will have fun with it as long as you don't expect too much of this one shutter speed (+ B) and two aperture camera.

Terry S
Old 14th March 2018, 09:11 PM
Friend

Thank you all. I'll look at your suggestions that's really help. At the moment I'm looking at sending the negatives away.
Old 14th March 2018, 11:04 PM
Friend

Good Evening, gsingh.
If you're darkroom isn't already set up for 120 film (some enlargers are 35mm only, and even if your enlarger takes 120 you might have to find a mask and lens) having your film processed commercially makes sense. It'll give you a chance to see how you like 6x6 before you commit.
I was thinking about your post yesterday- if you can afford it just get the Holga. Sometimes you have an itch and might as well just scratch it.
Seems you can pick one up for about 50 quid? I just spent that on negative filing sleeves- not the most glamorous part of photography.
Jump in, shoot some funky colour, and let us know how you get on.

ps- are you set up to print 6x6?? Curious for a reason.

pps- Just be warned. Once you try medium format you'll love it. Next year you'll be looking at 5x4.
Old 15th March 2018, 12:48 PM
Friend

Only 5x4? It won't stop there....... Sigh...... Have fun.
Old 26th March 2018, 09:13 AM
Friend

I miss read the title of this post as saying have you shot a Holger having read a number of post about its charm It would not surprise me if someone had

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:27 PM
Friend

Hmmm.
I wonder how this turned out?
Holga or not.
If you stop by gsingh, what did you decide??
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:53 PM
Friend

I am glad you pointed out the date of the original post. I always assume with no just cause or reason that all posts are recent. So few on FADU seem to have a long active life

I get caught out on Photrio as well when threads are revived after about 3 years or more. Unless it says "Mafeking Relieved" I never think to check its age

I'd be interested as well in what you decided to do, gsingh

If you are still reading posts on FADU let us know. Thanks

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies