Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th July 2018, 06:04 AM
Friend

If I remember correctly Neetsfoot oil STINKS! How do I know? I was advised to try it on my motorcycling gloves way back in the 70's, way before Gortex waterproof fabric was common and it really was offensive. The smell even migrated to my hands and was impossible to remove by washing.

There is a product called Gliptone which is based with a leather compound and smells - well just like new leather. That does the job and keeps my summer biking gloves supple and soft so there is no reason why it should not work on bellows - providing they ARE made of leather! Apply only in little amounts at a time.

It appears to be only available on line and the last time I bought some it was about £10 for a 200ml tin.
Old 20th July 2018, 01:36 PM
Friend

The bellows on my 10x12" field camera had become so tight and dry that, at maximum extension, it pulled itself off of the rear standard.

I used Turtlewax's "leather nourisher and conditioner" and they became supple again. Certainly for the first time in decades. Apparently it is anti-UV too. Smells pretty good.

Worked for me at least.
Old 22nd July 2018, 11:57 AM
Friend

When I bought my Ebony, there was a note inside the box that said Mink Oil (?????) helps keep the bellow supple.

I've never done anything yet to mine (12 years and counting)

Martin
Old 22nd July 2018, 12:57 PM
Friend

I would second Martin's recommendation. Mink oil is good stuff. Light, all natural (no synthetics), and apparently not prone to oxidation like other animal or vegetable oils (i.e. Neatsfoot). We used to use it on thin leather items like gloves, etc.
Old 22nd July 2018, 02:57 PM
Friend

Like Martin I have never done anything to my leather bellows, in my case over 15 years for some,and although all small bellows, (MF and 35mm bellows, they are all supple and soft, no sign of cracking or damage, so I think I will stick as I am, indeed, some of my 35mm cameras like my Retina's and others would be impossible to treat
Richard
Old 26th July 2018, 05:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
When I bought my Ebony, there was a note inside the box that said Mink Oil (?????) helps keep the bellow supple.

I've never done anything yet to mine (12 years and counting)

Martin
I should have said, I have real leather bellows.

Mink Oil is probably not the best thing to apply to synthetic leather of cloth.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies