Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th June 2019, 11:43 PM
Friend

Default here i go again buying on a whim

I have got to stop buying photographic gear ,looking at ebay as you do I came across a Yashica Mat TLR I think its late 1960s ,I had one in the 1970s ,so I bought this one to relive the joys of TLR photography ,I took a couple of rolls ,and they are in the drying cabinet drying naturally and I will have a good look tomorrow . The camera is in lovely condition with only a couple of marks that look like they were made putting it in and out of the camera case ,all the chrome is nice and shinny ,and its a bit smaller than I remember ,the only thing I not to happy about is the 3.5 aperture ,but I suppose if I want 2.8 I will have to buy a rolleiflex ..focusing it using the pop up loop ,and the focusing screen reminds me of a LF screen its a bit hard to focus but I got there in the end as the negatives looked sharp when I hung them up ...all in all its a fun way of spending the kids inheritance ,and its fun to use ,but I will not buy anymore cameras ,I keep on saying this but it don't seem to work .
Old 29th June 2019, 06:26 AM
Friend

I used a Yashicamat 125G while at school after doing a swap for a few days. A few years later I used Mamiya TLRs a C33 & C3 until they were stole, great but bulky.

Around 11 0r 12 years ago I bought a Yashicamat 124 of a Forum and have used it regularly since when in Turkey (I leave it there) it needed a CLA but has made some great images.

I find a TLR is great to use alongside my LF cameras particularly the square format (I din't crop) and print quality is excellent.

Personally I've never found the f3.5 max aperture an issue, bot my Rolleiflex cameras are f3.5 lenses a Xenotar and an Optom Tessar, as is the Xpres on my Microcord. The Yashinon lens is not quite as sharp as the others wide open at the edges and corners but I rarely use any of them wider than f5.6 anyway.

Great cameras to use have fun.

Ian
Old 29th June 2019, 09:52 AM
Friend

I will second Ian's comment about TLRs. They are just terrific cameras. I have four. I used to use my C330 pretty much all the time until I got tired of the bulk and awkward handling, and now I find I use the Autocord or Rolleiflex much more often. They are a joy, so light and (relatively) portable. The only thing I occasionally miss with these fixed-lens TLRs is a wide angle or tele. Max aperture of 3.5 is no big deal...with the quality of 400 speed films these days you will not notice the extra 1/2 stop.

Paul, it sounds like you have a nice find there. You should get some great images out of it, esp. if it has one of the four-element Yashinon lenses.

I had to chuckle over your comments about the pull of camera buying. You're not alone! I constantly have to give myself a dope-slap to keep me from snatching up all the sweet cameras for sale around here. So now I have a self-imposed policy of "one in, one out", which is remarkably effective at keeping me grounded in reality

Enjoy the new toy!
Old 29th June 2019, 01:34 PM
Friend

the idea was to get rid of some cameras and lenses and flash guns .I have 4 120 film cameras and now I have 5 , and as Pentax Pete says DONT TELL THE WIFE .it is the lightest MF camera I own ,its easy to use but I have a problem with focusing ,I took two rolls of film and they all have come out in focus ,but the focusing screen is a bit hard to focus with and the pop up loop did not seem to help ,i then worked out that I could see and get a sharper focus by lifting the loop up a bit or using my focus finder loop ,like a chimney finder ,but I do find the screen still a bit dark ,but otherwise i am happy with it its in great condition and it has the yashinon lens ,it came with filters and lens hoods. I will try it next time I get my studio strobes out ,but I must remember to cheek the flash leaver is on X and not M .well it didn't take me back to the 1970s but it has been fun and as i have said i will use it again ,i would love to get a nice clean rolleicord ,when i have the money..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 29th June 2019, 01:46 PM
Friend

The Rolleicord is a good camera, Paul, but I doubt that you would find the viewing screen any better than the Yashica. Also, the shutter release is a bit strange, although it can be improved by screwing a small button into the cable socket. I would suggest you have a shot of one in a shop, if you can, before deciding to buy. I like mine, but it's not the most straightforward camera to use. I have a Yashica like yours, but sadly it needs repaired. I will certainly use it, if I can fix it. I think you can fit different strength lenses to the loupe in the Rolleicord, but I'm not sure about the Yashica.
Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 29th June 2019, 02:13 PM
Friend

I bought a modern Chinese screen for my Yashicamat 124 but it sat in teh UK while I was living in Turkey and I never got around to fitting it. In the end it went in my Microcord and made a huge difference (all MPP screens are quite dim).

Maybe I've just got used to the Yashicamat's screen as I don't have problems focusing with it, the screen in my Rolleiflex f3.5 E2 is easier though and the one in my Automat MX (also known as a Rolleiflex A) isn't bad.

I'm not so keen on the Rolleicord/Microcord wind etc, I have a Rolleicord to strip and rebuild only cost me £10 but has a nice Triotar. I had one in the 70's and it was great for portraits being a Triplet it has an ethereal effect wider open.

My Yashicamat 124 does have an issue, when B on W in Bristol did the shutter CLA they told me the focus gear had a twist they could fix it but doubted it was economic. I had felt the slight tightness or binding as I focused, it does mean it will war badly but the camera only gets used a few times a year. Both B on W and I felt it would be cheaper to find a replacement camera in overall in the long run and I could find a 124 G in far better condition for less than the repair costs. The CLA on the shutter has given me 1 or 12 years of reliable use and the focus issue is no worse LD

Ian
Old 29th June 2019, 05:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post

"but I will not buy anymore cameras ,I keep on saying this but it don't seem to work" .
IIRC you said much the same last time

I used to use one in the 70s for colour work and it was superb.

Enjoy!

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 29th June 2019, 06:20 PM
Friend

thanks for all the advice folks . I can still do my David bailey ,all I need now is a string vest and Cuban heels .I have shot some film today and I used a tripod (not sideways down a hole) and I have really enjoyed using it ,it is what it is ,and I have started to get used to it ,winding the film on is very fast with the handle ,and even with my hearing aids in I can just about here the shutter click ,and compared to my other medium format cameras ,its light as a feather ….

I love shooting film, developing and printing it ,but I also love cameras its how they look how they feel and how they shoot film .part of the experience is how the camera feels in my hands .
Old 30th June 2019, 07:20 AM
Friend

Paul,

You can NEVER have enough cameras

I have to admit I have often hankered after another Yashica Mat 124g but I have several MF systems already!

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 30th June 2019, 11:40 AM
Friend

Neil that's what I keep on saying to myself . as I have said I had a yashica mat in the 70s it was a basic model, the one I have now is a lot more modern .I have found out why I had focusing problems ,now when I focus I push the loop up with my thumb ,its a shame its not adjustable ,but not to worrie its useable . I will have to have a sort out, there are some lenses I want to buy and they are quite expensive so I will have to sell a lot of my camera gear to afford them
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies