Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th April 2020, 09:28 PM
Friend

Good to hear you and your family are ok, Svend. I’ve done a bit of mountain biking in the past, but my bones are not up to it anymore. I’m mainly on the road, or surfaced paths, although the condition of the roads here is pretty bad. There are around nine distilleries on Islay, and one on the neighbouring island of Jura. We only managed three the last time, so there is a bit of an incentive to return. The money involved in these places is incredible. You’re cycling about an island that is pretty basic, and arriving at very high class places with shops/bars/restaurants, and lots of wealthy (not us) visitors. It’s quite surreal. The product, however, is top class, and worth the trip. Perhaps by August/September it may be possible to return.
Anyway, take care and I hope your life returns to normal as soon as possible.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 16th April 2020, 09:44 PM
Friend

I'm fortunate in that I cycle and have loads of beautiful places to ride to within about 5 miles of home. Obviously I always take a camera - usually 35mm as a bigger camera and tripod might cause problems! I've also got plenty of time in the darkroom. That said, I've been given a huge list of household jobs that I've said I'll do 'when I've got time'!
Old 16th April 2020, 11:32 PM
Friend

Yes there can't be any better way to exercise than cycling. Usually you can be your own and if there is another cyclist you can gauge comparative speeds to ensure you stay well behind or pass when the road is empty at several feet away and at a speed where 2 metres distance is easily achieved and occurs for a second or so before it opens to a lot more

Has to be better all round that the walk on pavements where meeting another person can be more frequent and at less than 2 metres for longer given this is done at walking pace

Mike
Old 17th April 2020, 07:30 AM
Friend

Default Changes in lifestyle

With the lockdown I have assumed a different way of doing things (apart from regular walks) and that is instead of a frantic raid on one of the big 4 supermarkets I now use the local shops.

They are generally very quiet and well stocked plus at the moment they have VERY tight measures to maintain distancing. The farm shop insist you wash your hands before being allowed in. For meat and fresh eggs I go there, and when I say 'fresh eggs' they are just that, usually laid that day.

There is a old fashioned greengrocers about a mile away in the next village and a bakery only 25yds away from them. A café, closed for the duration has branched out with delivering very reasonably priced plated meals free of charge. I will be using them for Sunday lunch - it saves me the work of cleaning pots and pans and they are not expensive.

There are some items that I cannot get from these four places but it is so much more peaceful than the supermarket bun fight and a wait in a queue to pay.

Actually, for me life is a lot calmer at present so weathering the lockdown isn't as bad as it could be.
Old 17th April 2020, 09:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I’ll be interested to hear how it goes, David. I’ve just bought one of those Russian developing tanks for Cine film. I had been looking for one for ages, but they are very expensive. I hope that it is complete as it didn’t have instructions. It appears that there may be two versions. The one I have can only do one 8mm film at a time, but there seems to be a model that can handle two (unless I’ve been diddled and am missing plenty of parts!)
Back to the original question. I’m working from home, but there’s not much to do. I have managed to get back into cycling, and am out every day for an hour. Thank goodness for the dry weather. I’m hoping to do another tour of the distilleries on Islay once this is all over, so I need to be cycle fit by then. I took some 4x5 film out of the fridge last night to make some still life images. I’ve been using Delta 100, but am going to try Foma 400. I’m hoping to work outdoors if the wind isn’t too strong. Having natural light makes things a lot easier.
Take care everyone!
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the same one as you, haven't tested loading it yet but hopefully get a chance this weekend

David
Old 17th April 2020, 01:11 PM
Friend

to day I will be mostly in my darkroom ,creating masterpieces ,as usual ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 17th April 2020, 01:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
to day I will be mostly in my darkroom ,creating masterpieces ,as usual ..

That's what I tell myself too, Paul. Then my wife suggests I buy some new hats as the old ones will no longer fit.

Last edited by Svend; 17th April 2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 17th April 2020, 01:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Good to hear you and your family are ok, Svend. I’ve done a bit of mountain biking in the past, but my bones are not up to it anymore. I’m mainly on the road, or surfaced paths, although the condition of the roads here is pretty bad. There are around nine distilleries on Islay, and one on the neighbouring island of Jura. We only managed three the last time, so there is a bit of an incentive to return. The money involved in these places is incredible. You’re cycling about an island that is pretty basic, and arriving at very high class places with shops/bars/restaurants, and lots of wealthy (not us) visitors. It’s quite surreal. The product, however, is top class, and worth the trip. Perhaps by August/September it may be possible to return.
Anyway, take care and I hope your life returns to normal as soon as possible.
Alex

I REALLY need to visit Scotland! I may not want to leave. My wife and eldest daughter spent a couple of weeks there a few years ago, and loved it. And yes, they popped into a distillery - Glengoyne, if I recall, which is near you I think. They walked off the whiskey buzz with a hike along the Loch. Had a wonderful day.

As for mountain biking, having the daughter's young boyfriend around is getting me out in the woods on days when I'd normally just stay home with a hot cup of tea. Yesterday we had snow squalls for Pete's sake! "Let's go riding!" says the lad. So not wanted to look like a wuss, off I go. Had a great time anyway, despite the frozen fingers A shot of fine Canadian rye warmed things up nicely when we finally got home.

Last edited by Svend; 17th April 2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 17th April 2020, 02:23 PM
Friend

I am using up well out of date paper, to make contact sheets of old box camera negatives my family generation before me took.
Pictures of Aunts Uncles Cousins etc.
Also a load holiday places that will probably never be identified, as the generation that took them are all playing harps now.

A couple of notes...……..
I was out last night clapping for the NHS.
I found it quite moving to hear the noise building up from a couple of streets away. And a few fireworks and rockets in the distance.

As for Vulcan Bombers...………
When you are on holiday in Malta, sleeping off the previous nights excesses, the last thing you want is a Vulcan Bomber screaming and roaring over your hotel roof at an altitude that lets you count the rivets and screws on the underside. Every morning when they went off on patrol.
They don't tell you that in the travel brochure.
Old 17th April 2020, 02:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
I am using up well out of date paper, to make contact sheets of old box camera negatives my family generation before me took.
Pictures of Aunts Uncles Cousins etc.
Also a load holiday places that will probably never be identified, as the generation that took them are all playing harps now.

A couple of notes...……..
I was out last night clapping for the NHS.
I found it quite moving to hear the noise building up from a couple of streets away. And a few fireworks and rockets in the distance.

As for Vulcan Bombers...………
When you are on holiday in Malta, sleeping off the previous nights excesses, the last thing you want is a Vulcan Bomber screaming and roaring over your hotel roof at an altitude that lets you count the rivets and screws on the underside. Every morning when they went off on patrol.
They don't tell you that in the travel brochure.
Like you I was out there last night clapping fpr our Jersey hero's, including my Wife,whom I haven't seen now for what seems like forever, She is back on duty as a nurse and we have taken the decision to live apart, so yes, very personal reason for clapping,I did get out for a walk yesterday, along a beach and not another soul seen, took a camera and will be developing the film later,and today I have been setting up some old bottles that I have been meaning to photograph for a while now, also my Classic car club, with nothing on for the forseeable future, sends a bedtime something funny every evening, keeps us all in touch,
Keep safe and well
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies