Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th April 2020, 10:02 PM
Friend

Default Your Wedding Album

I was wondering, after all the time, expense and effort of producing a nice wedding album for your customers or friends, does anyone remember the last time they got hit with " Get the photograph album out for our guests?"
Wedding albums especially, used to cost a fair old packet, and I bet most just sit in the bottom of a wardrobe or cupboard not seeing the light of day for years on end.
An essential piece of family history or just an expensive whim?
Old 24th April 2020, 11:09 PM
Friend

What you spend on wedding albums is in the same category as what you spend on weddings. It is a visceral thing There is no right or wrong way to do it. I spent what I believe my wife and I felt was worth spending on what was one day in the rest of our lives. It wasn't a lot. There was no wedding album in the sense of a professionally produced product. A few snaps were taken at the reception which we still have and I have not regretted this.

The worse course of action is to take a decision that you know or have a strong feeling that you will regret

What counts is that what you spent on a wedding album is not something that nags at you for the rest of your days, be that being prudent and taking amateur snaps or hiring a professional.

Mike
Old 25th April 2020, 01:19 PM
Friend

We have a wedding album and although we have not looked at it in quite a while, it's sort of comforting to know it's there, memories I guess. Many of the guests are no longer with us, apart from in our hearts.

Our wedding was the "norm" for its time, church, and small reception at the church hall, all done on a budget.

We did have a local photographer do the album, something that we have never regretted, (if I remember correctly he was also the police photographer)

Ian

Last edited by CambsIan; 25th April 2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 26th April 2020, 10:52 AM
Friend

The wedding album as we knew it has almost vanished.
One of my Dental Therapists (Leila) used to be a self-employed wedding/commercial photographer. Edged out while she was retraining and has now stopped completely. Cut-throat competition from anyone with a DSLR. For years Stornoway had one professional photographer and a local press photographer who did some wedding work to top up his income.
We now have a dozen 'Pro photographers' chasing less work. Expectation has also changed completely- Leila has tales of shooting the wedding, and being expected to show a 'rough edit' of hundred of images by then end of the reception.
Customers would then order a handful of prints, and a Disc with the best hundreds of images to be presented within a day or two.
Guests didn't but prints- most were happy to have pictures on their phone, or to want to copy the digital proofs given to the Happy Couple.

I make quite a few home visits to older patients, and I see wedding pictures from the 1950's and 60's still proudly displayed. Quite a few are hand coloured, which must have been the height of Luxury.
Old 26th April 2020, 11:20 AM
Friend

No album as such; but after our wedding (Ballymena, July 1968) the studio printed out a fairly good quantity for the families and friends. I was then able to negotiate possession of the negatives, which I still have. They were well processed. Monochrome. The photographer had a correct sense of narrative and managed us all pretty well, too.

One of the best days of my life.

(Just remembered that I also got the proof book).

Last edited by Michael; 26th April 2020 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Nostalgia
Old 26th April 2020, 01:34 PM
Friend

Michael's mention of wedding proofs reminded me of how useful they have been to some of my relatives.
My sister received the set of proofs, and before she got around to ordering the album and decent photos the photographers studio and darkroom burnt down. Lost his entire negative library.
When I bought my first reasonable camera, a Practica Super TL, that cost a lot on an apprentices wage. I managed to make some acceptable copies of the prints and cropped the red PROOF stamp out. She was quite happy, and still has one of her and her husband on the sideboard.
The other recovery was for my cousins wedding. Her photographer went out of business shortly after she received her proofs.
This was in the days before Photoshop and other digital retouching.
Her prints had a much larger red PROOF stamp right across the images.
After a bit of head scratching I hit on the idea of copying the image using a red filter on the camera. Black and white images and film of course.
The results were a bit on the contrasty side but when printed on soft paper the stamp mark had vanished.

A handy tip if you are ever in the same situation.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies