Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th May 2020, 04:14 PM
Friend

Default Camera Repairs

I have been running round the forum looking for posts on camera repairs but not having much luck. Before I started this hike I had convinced myself there was a list that had been compiled that could be looked at and a repairer chosen. I do not know why I was so convinced of this.

Anyway I am looking for someone who can deal with Bronica kit. I have a surplus that needs to go but want it in good working order before it go's to new homes.

Any suggestion?

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 5th May 2020, 04:31 PM
Friend

Repairs or CLA's are expensive so it would cost you an arm and a leg, some dealers will check equipment before selling but used to have a technician in houseso it cost them very little but meant they could ask higher prices.

You wouldn't recoup the costs it's best to sell as is, do your own checks.

Ian
Old 5th May 2020, 09:38 PM
Friend

Good question though.
I have made a strategic error, allowing a couple of items to sit on the shelf waiting for me to get around to fixing them. I have a Tele-Arton for my 5x4 and an XD7 body needing looked at. Last week I was exercising my shutters and discovered one of the 80mm lenses for my Mamiyas is sticking on the slow speeds. All of a sudden that's a fair repair bill. I should have done each one as it came up.

Is it worth fixing things? Certainly the LF and Mamiya kit is. For 35mm it's a tougher call. I have a lovely little Dynax 505 which is getting slightly temperamental, but I've got a couple of good lenses for it. For insurance I've just bought a Dynax 600Si with vertical grip in case it fails, for a Princely £19.00
Yes, less than a large bottle of Gin in Tesco, for a camera which was the bleeding edge of technology when introduced, and probably cost hundreds.
For anyone who didn't know, the world is crazy.
Old 6th May 2020, 08:12 AM
Friend

Looks like I may have to sort the repairs out myself hopefully I will not need any parts.

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 6th May 2020, 08:53 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I have been running round the forum looking for posts on camera repairs but not having much luck. Before I started this hike I had convinced myself there was a list that had been compiled that could be looked at and a repairer chosen. I do not know why I was so convinced of this.

Anyway I am looking for someone who can deal with Bronica kit. I have a surplus that needs to go but want it in good working order before it go's to new homes.

Any suggestion?
Have you clicked on Links in the top bar and then Repairers in the list that comes up? Perhaps that is the list you were thinking of?

Bill

Last edited by Bill; 6th May 2020 at 09:07 AM.
Old 6th May 2020, 09:19 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
Looks like I may have to sort the repairs out myself hopefully I will not need any parts.

Being realistic I had a CLA done ona Rolleiflex 3.3E2 just over 12 years ago that was £100 +VAT and a shutter service on a Yashicamat 124 and that was £50 + VAT. The Rolleiflex was and still is near mint, the lubricants had dried out after 50+ years of no use,I was given the camera as it no longer worked but it had had less than a dozen films through it, the owner had used his Minolta Autocord instead.

I've just had my Rolleiflex Automat MX bacjk from a full CLA/Repair and that was £120 + VAT but add postage as well just over £160.

Ian
Old 6th May 2020, 09:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Have you clicked on Links in the top bar and then Repairers in the list that comes up? Perhaps that is the list you were thinking of?

Bill

From the FADU list Bill refers to I have used Black on White and Newton Ellis. I found each to very good and reliable, I would use them again.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 6th May 2020, 10:47 AM
Friend

Quote:

Bill
Thanks Bill that is what I was looking for.
Thanks Neil for the suggestions

Old 6th May 2020, 11:05 AM
Friend

I have used Newton Ellis in Liverpool for a couple of repairs, once for a spring replacement in a Hasselblad lens and also for a totally jammed up Hasselblad. I found them to be excellent and will not hesitate to use them again.
Old 6th May 2020, 11:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Have you clicked on Links in the top bar and then Repairers in the list that comes up?

Bill
I've not required a repair to any of my cameras (yet = touch wood!) but I'm surprised that I've never either noticed or clicked on the 'Links' bit at the top of the page.

Me thinks that I might explore each of the bits of text at the top of the page after my daily browse.

Terry S

Tags
bronica, camera repair, medium format
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies