Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th May 2020, 09:55 PM
Friend

Default Historical Colourised Photo's

Just had this article flagged up on my newsfeed

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fe-colour.html

Perhaps not to everyone's taste, but I found it interesting

Ian
Old 16th May 2020, 06:42 AM
Friend

Some more from the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...in-a-new-light
Old 16th May 2020, 11:06 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I am just not sure about the colourisation of old photographs. It certainly makes them very arresting at first sight. The Guardian report is much better than that in the Daily Mail. I think I prefer the originals as they make, certainly me, give them greater consideration and not just another picture we are bombarded with these days.

Mike
Old 16th May 2020, 01:03 PM
Friend

When done well, I really like colourised photographs, although my attempts are still not so good.

The pictures shown have been done really well IMO, being subtle and naturally coloured, unlike many others I have seen over the years, which are often quite garish, colour wise.

As pictures, they have been transformed really well, but if you take the 3 pictures of the young girl on the Guardian link, where both original B/W and colourised pictures are shown, it is very much down to preference. The original B/W pictures come across to me as being more authentic in their look, whilst the colour ones are made to look more modern, almost snapshot in style - looking very much like something from a modern film shot in colour.

By being made coloured and if you like them is down to many things, including the style and what it does to the pictures, affecting both the overall look and message that they portray.

Although I like the 'look', I do wonder if pictures like this really need to be changed, to almost make them more acceptable in this period of time? Maybe war pictures especially should remain in their original B/W form? But these remind me of the recent colourisation of world war footage, which also had sound added. Somehow, they become less upsetting and more acceptable having gone through this treatment?

I do wonder though, if another process might have been used, if these original pictures were actually taken on colour film at the time?

There are so many thoughts that are now going through my mind.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies