Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th November 2012, 05:28 PM
Friend

Yes I was tempted to add that I realised that gold in combo does things that blue cannot. Some amazing peachy pinkish tones are possible from what I have seen.

So cheap and cheerful it may have to be

Mike
Old 11th November 2012, 12:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Comparing a print of mine which was CT Ilford paper with CT Ilford developer to the Dave Miller print which I have already mentioned, it had just a hint of blue-grey while admittedly not fully matching Dave's print.

Mike
Forget the above. I have just been browsing the e-bay chemicals section and while the price of CT paper isn't cheap, add it to the 1litre price of the discontinued Ilford CT developer at £40 which must be old then given it is a much poorer imitation of a gold toner print without any of its versatility it might still be cheaper to buy gold toner.

It still amazes me that Ilford hasn't revived CT developer even if it has to have a one-off run per year as it does with SFX.

Mike
Old 11th November 2012, 05:20 PM
Friend

Yes CT was a true cold tone developer right up there with Documol and almost as cold as Doculith. I use Burki and Jenny's cold tone which is somewhat subtle in the cold stakes. Another is Maxim Muir's blue black but it is unbuffered and dies completely after 10 prints. On the cold tone front I have just ran off a couple of prints using Slavich unibrom. Truely a cold paper (which is totally unaffected by gold toner btw). The contrast is a bit high with grade 2 being closer to grade 3 and grade 3 being uncomfortably close to grade 4 to be used as an everyday grade. Time to try water bath and two bath development methods.
Old 11th November 2012, 07:23 PM
Friend

In some discussions elsewhere Moersch SE6 was recommended as an excellent cool tone developer, maybe even better than the old Ilford stuff. It isn't inexpensive either but considering the dilution it's not too bad, and may be less expensive on that side of the pond (or not, given that doesn't seem the case with Ilford - but liquid is heavy and shipping it that far is costly.)
Old 11th November 2012, 08:30 PM
Friend

Moersch Se6 is a fairly cool developer from my experience but needed quite a bit of "finisher blue" for real blue black tones. It is a worthy alternative to the Ilford product.
Old 11th November 2012, 08:38 PM
Friend

For what it is worth I just did a quick check via our sponsors and other suppliers and the only kit that is cheaper than the cheaper of the two quoted by Adrian, the OP, is a Moersch kit sold by Silverprint.

Martin sells a 2L kit where you get supplied with extra gold chrolide and mix it yourself. It works out at £53.76 for 2L so £26.88 per litre which as prices stand today is pretty good.

Some suppliers quote 1L per 50 8x10 sheets whereas Martin quotes lower but this may simply be him being very conservative. Anyway you gold toning FADUers will know by experience what your capacities are.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies