Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th August 2021, 01:14 PM
Friend

Default Bowens compatibility

I have been looking at some Bowens studio type flashes with a generator pack and plug in flash heads ,there seems to be two different sizes plugs some plugs have 20 pins and others have 12 pins ,I know I cannot put a lower watt strobe head on a Higher watt pack and turn it up but ,all I need to know is compatibility between heads and packs ,for example can I use the heads from a Bowens Quadmatic Power Pack on a bowens duo lite both have 20 pin plugs .Is there anybody using bowens packs here and what do they think of them .
Old 14th August 2021, 03:02 PM
Friend

I've used Bowens Quadmatic packs in the past. best used in a large studio. You can use Duolite heads on a Quadmatic pack.

To give an idea of power my Elinchrom 1000 head with a soft box (dual layer) gives a and exposure of 1/3 stop under f22 (f16 + 2/3) ISO 100 at full power and 16 + 1/3 at 3/4 power.

The disadvanted of a single pack and two or three heads is the heavy trailing leads for the flash heads. I've always used pairs of packs in the past either borrowed or hired. That way there's no leads crossing the area I'm shooting from.

You missed a Bowens 750E which sold for £9.99 the other evening I've not checked my 750E against the Elinchrom 500 and 1000, the 1000 gives a stop more output than the 500s so the 750E or 800 Bowens Monoliteswill be roughly halfway in between.

Ian
Old 15th August 2021, 12:58 PM
Friend

Unless you are planning to use these exclusively in a permanent studio generator packs and slave heads are probably not your best route.

Individual monoblock heads which are self contained units are probably a better bet.

I have a couple of Bowen 1000J/s heads which I got off eBay a couple of years ago.

500 J/s heads are the most common size.

You really need to get a kit - heads + tripods + light modifiers, in a carrying case.

If you keep your eyes open and are patient then as Ian says you can pick some up at reasonable prices.

If you are shooting MF or smaller formats then 500 J heads should probably suffice.

Martin
Old 15th August 2021, 05:11 PM
Friend

There's a useful Elinchrom Meter table in this Elinchrom Manual on page 8.

Essentially it's comparison of different power Elinchrom flash units in terms of Output but also the effects of different reflectors, softboxes, umbrellas etc., What's interesting is the chice of reflectors can increase intensity by + 2/3 of a stop.

I know that the deeper refectors with my EL 11 units are better in this respect tahn the sammer ones with the 500 and 1000 heads I've jsut bought.

Adding a comment to what Martin has written above, it's rare for me to need to use my Bowens 750E at full power.

Ian
Old 16th August 2021, 12:04 AM
Friend

I have got 250 up to 600 strobes but as I am shooting between 12 and 25 asa X-ray film I needed something a bit stronger so I can get better DOF ,But looking at strobes new ,other than the cheap Chinese ones on ebay , anything half decent cost a small fortune , so that's where the second hand old bowens look really good for your money when you can get 1200 watt strobe for around the 200 to 250 pounds I know they are old and knackered like me but I can see myself only shooting 10 or 20 sheets of X-ray film with it , and maybe two rolls of film ,at a time so I will not work them hard ,also I must admit that I like playing with old photography gear .As I am 65 this year its the only fun I can have with my clothes on ...I have just came out of my darkroom and just washing my prints at the moment ,so it all adds to the fun
Old 16th August 2021, 11:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I have got 250 up to 600 strobes but as I am shooting between 12 and 25 asa X-ray film I needed something a bit stronger so I can get better DOF
It also depends upon your subjects. For if it's a still life, one can do multiple flash exposures or if it's available indoors, one could even use window light or maybe even move outside to use natural daylight...?

Terry S
Old 16th August 2021, 01:08 PM
Friend

There's some nice Elinchrom Packs on ebay ,If I didn't have everything bowens fit I would buy Elinchrom
Old 16th August 2021, 07:47 PM
Friend

The Elinchrom packs and heads are smaller. I used to use Bowens Quadmatic 3K packs and heads in the late 1970's and early 80's, they belonged to a commercial/advertising photographer who was a sub-tenant in a factory I rented. It was nice kit but after he moved out I began using Elinchrom packs when I needed the extra power.

There's quite a quality difference between Elinchrom and Bowens across their whole ranges. Bowens kit feels a league lower.

My new modelling lights came today for my EL 1000 and S2000. The S2000 head needs a new flash tube but I'm figuring on selling the 101 pack if I get it fixed and getting a 202 pack instead so I can get full output if needed.

In my case I've done catalogue shoots with 3 or 4 models so it's large areas that need illuminating, and also when working with rock bands.

I keep saying I have a Bowens 750E in fact when I looked at it today it's actually an 800E It's a long time since I used my Courtney Colour Flash 100, and also used some of their packs & heads, they were dangerous, luckily Bowens packs were safer and killed them off.

Ian
Old 17th August 2021, 10:42 AM
Friend

We have had the grandkids over for a couple of days and as always I took the opportunity to photograph the little darlings . I have a Parabolic Umbrella and a ring flash ,I used a Umbrella Adapter to fit the ring flash on the shaft of the umbrella so the shaft goes in the middle of the ring flash I have seen it done before but never tried it until now ,the negatives look good ,so I am looking forward to printing them .
Old 28th September 2021, 07:52 PM
Friend

I have been looking for some information on Bowens head and pack compatibility ,I have so far found very little on Bowens ,what I want to know is Quadmatic , creo ,duo lite and explorer are the heads interchangeable with the power packs for example ,will the Quadmatic heads work on the Duo pack .As I have said I have looked on the interweb but found nowt .any help would be great or a pointer in the right direction ..
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies