Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th January 2011, 10:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
in black I hasten to add.
The leopardskin print would be a strong look with a LF camera.

My 2 favourite gadgets:

#1 - The humble ziplock bag - great for individually bagging up 4x5 DDs to keep dust off, bigger ones for bagging up film boxes in the fridge/freezer. Keeping your wallet and phone dry on a wet walk. Even keeping sarnies in.

#2 - vacuum wine bottler pump + stoppers, used for keeping chemicals fresh.
Old 28th January 2011, 07:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Not exactly a gadget but incredibly useful - Lock and Lock food boxes from Lakeland. They're clear, pretty damn waterproof, float, and you can stand on them accidentally and nothing breaks. I use them for DDS's, usually 4 at a time, with a large rubber band stopping them moving around when walking. I have tried other brands but these are the best as far as I am concerned. They have redesigned them recently, and I haven't tried one of these, but they just might be a better fit than the old ones.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/keyword/...k/psi/1/pgs/25
Actually that Onion Dome looks like it might be (with a bit of foam inside) the ultimate LF lens storer
I LOVE Lakeland!
Phil
I use a Lock n Lock Box for keeping my DDss in too

I have a slightly bigger one though - I get 12 in mine

I keep my cuurent working stock of film (fresh and exposed) in yet another Lock n Lock container

Martin
Old 29th January 2011, 03:42 PM
Friend

I also use the RH Design torch for Lith Printing but I also use Led Magnet Light that looks almost like the following http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/40...net_Light.html

I find them useful to focus when there is not a lot of light.
Jacques
Old 29th January 2011, 11:52 PM
Friend

I cut out a 6x7cm aperture from an 8x9cm piece of cardboard, then wrapped it with black tape. I hold it at the width of my index finger from the point of my nose, giving a true representation of the coverage I get with my RB67's 65mm lens. By extending the distance from my nose, to the length of the same finger, I get a true representation of my 127mm lens.
This little piece of cardboard fits into my back pocket and allows me to 'scout' for shots at all times, and is a lightweight boon that facillitates pre-pre-visualization.

I'm sure there's a proper name for this type of device, but I haven't come across the term yet.

The most handy device that I've never paid for.

JP
Old 30th January 2011, 01:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabhar View Post
I cut out a 6x7cm aperture from an 8x9cm piece of cardboard, then wrapped it with black tape. I hold it at the width of my index finger from the point of my nose, giving a true representation of the coverage I get with my RB67's 65mm lens. By extending the distance from my nose, to the length of the same finger, I get a true representation of my 127mm lens.
This little piece of cardboard fits into my back pocket and allows me to 'scout' for shots at all times, and is a lightweight boon that facillitates pre-pre-visualization.

I'm sure there's a proper name for this type of device, but I haven't come across the term yet.

The most handy device that I've never paid for.

JP
It’s called a Imaging Frame

I have one of these for my 5x4, complete with knots in a thread to represent the various focal lengths - http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product...1033&PT_ID=163

I find I don't use it all that much, I can "see" my focal lengths fairly well.

Martin
Old 30th January 2011, 02:52 PM
Friend

....An Imaging Frame !

Thanks Martin.

I have to say that having my little soft, flexible, home-made frame in my back pocket will be much more less of a pain than the rigid, inflexible titanium example....as I sit in a nice bar getting tipsy on the £18 surplus that I have in the other pocket.

JP
Old 30th January 2011, 07:02 PM
Friend

Default useful gadget

For me, my most useful gadget would have to be the Leitz Vidom universal finder as shown in my Avatar. For those not familiar with this little device, it allows adjustment to view at a variety of focal lengths (something I never use it for), but it also allows you to view the image inverted in a horizontal plane, should you wish to print shiny side down for compositional reasons. However, its best function is that by turning the small prism at the back you can view the image upside down in both landscape and portrait format, thus giving the objectivity of shapes and forms only seen when working with LF.
Old 30th January 2011, 09:52 PM
Friend

Hygrometer: mine's a combination digital thermometer/hygrometer sold in cigar shops. Its located in my coating area; and I rely on it for when to do Platinum/Palladium printing.
Old 31st January 2011, 06:32 PM
Friend

(1) A DIY device for test strips when calibrating with RH Designs ZMII. On a small board the 2.5 x 13 cm paper is slid under two rails, guide s a metal cover allowing to print the 7 test fields and is also used as a rail to cut the paper strips.

(2) the motorized focusing of my DURST M601 enlarger
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies