Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Sale or Wanted

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st January 2022, 04:10 PM
Friend

Default Print washer up to 12x16"

Need one of these, mine is broken and was never that good. Anyone have one to sell?
Old 2nd January 2022, 10:45 AM
Friend

Just bought the Patterson one, would prefer a Nova, but should still do the job.
Old 2nd January 2022, 12:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraz View Post
Just bought the Patterson one, would prefer a Nova, but should still do the job.
Presuming you got the upright Paterson washer, with the rack inside, it'll do you fine. I wash both RC and FB prints in mine. Did you purchase a secondhand one or a brand spanking new one?

Just remember not to put more prints in when others (especially FB) are washing, so as not to recontaminate the washing water.

Terry S
Old 4th January 2022, 09:01 AM
Friend

Yes this is what I got, at a good price from Bristol cameras. Mostly I need to wash 4-5 identical prints at a time after fix, selenium and then toning.

I'm wondering how well it will work for me given I also use wash aid. After this it doesn't make sense to put the print back in the washer given there is no isolation between prints.

Might bite the (expensive) bullet and cancel this and get a Nova...
Old 7th January 2022, 08:44 AM
Friend

When I recently had a look, Second-Hand Darkroom Supplies (https://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk) recently had a good choice in washers. For example the Gravity Works 12” x 16” Print Washer, the Kostiner Archival 12” x 16” washer and, excitingly if you want the very best, The Silverprint 12” x 16” 12 Slot Archival washer.

Martin Reed’s excellent Mysteries of the Vortex about effective print washing is a must read in my opinion. You learn not only the theory but also that no archival washer is actually archival unless you follow the correct processing procedure and know how to get the best out of your washer. This article is on this site: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ghlight=Vortex and Part Two is especially useful where he considers Archival Washers in practice: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ghlight=Vortex

Martin went on to design, manufacture and sell what he considered the ultimate print washer. This Silverprint washer is fantastic and I can state that it is my most valued piece of darkroom kit. It is the only design with a water dump approach that Martin identified as being very important to efficient archival print washing.

Bests,

David.
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de

Last edited by dsallen; 7th January 2022 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 7th January 2022, 01:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraz View Post
I'm wondering how well it will work for me given I also use wash aid. After this it doesn't make sense to put the print back in the washer given there is no isolation between prints.

Might bite the (expensive) bullet and cancel this and get a Nova...
Well it's really all or nothing with this 'open to each other' type of print washers. I use wash aid too, when I do FB prints, and never really found it too be complicated. In fact, of late, I give the first 5 minute wash of FB prints in the bathroom sink, where my print washer is also situated (in the bath). But then, I only make smaller than 10" x 8" prints at the moment. A 5 minute first wash in the sink, followed by the same time in a tray of wash aid and then into the print washer rack for the final wash.

Just thinking about it, if you are ONLY washing FB prints, a spoonful or two of sodium sulfite in the washer, to make the wash aid will only cost pennies, so you could do the full sequence in it no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallen View Post
When I recently had a look, Second-Hand Darkroom Supplies (https://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk) recently had a good choice in washers.

David.
I don't need one but looked at their site out of curiosity, and every one that I looked at (which was most of them), were all listed as 'Out of stock'....

Terry S
Old 7th January 2022, 06:28 PM
Friend

Default 12x16 print washer

The 12x16 Patterson one works as well as it could. I have always found that with resin coated prints, it is better to place the prints sized12x16 and even 9.5 x12 one at a time and face down.

I have never used it with confidence when printing on fibre based.
Old 7th January 2022, 08:20 PM
Friend

Many Thanks for the links to the articles.

I have recently been looking for information on print washing in cold water.
The water from my cold tap has gone down to 8c. in the last fortnight.
The Ilford information about doubling the washing time when the water is below 10c. is just what I have been looking for.

I am definitely going to keep a printout of the articles.

Cheers.
Old 8th January 2022, 11:37 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I don't need one but looked at their site out of curiosity, and every one that I looked at (which was most of them), were all listed as 'Out of stock'....

Terry S
Well the washers that I would consider appropriate for archival washing of FB prints (Kostiner, Nova and for me the ultimate washer from Silverprint with the 12 slots) are all listed as in stock. Bests David.
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 8th January 2022, 12:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallen View Post
Well the washers... are all listed as in stock. Bests David.
My bad David. I thought that there was only one page of listings. It turns out that there are SEVEN!

For that I totally deserve...

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies