Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th October 2011, 01:24 PM
Friend

Default MOD 54 film holder cost

I noticed that Silverprint is now marketing the MOD54 sheet film holer for Paterson tanks.

I bought one last Christmas directly from Mr MOD54: all in all it's a pretty good item although I found that with anything except very gentle agitation the sheets tend to slip off the holder.

Times are tough, money needs to be made and non-digital retailers deserve strong support, but I couldn't help but think the mark-up was a bit steep on the Silverprint item (£44.50 against £36.00 from MOD54).

Proabably not a particularly PC comment to post, but a 23.6% mark-up is a lot- and that's assuming S/Print has to buy them at retail price.

Niall.
Old 27th October 2011, 02:40 PM
Friend

I thought the same when I saw it then realised that Silverprint would probably have to add 20% VAT as well as a margin to the base price, then again maybe you paid VAT on yours. Either way we have a choice. I feel that on balance this is offered as much as a service as a money maker.
Old 27th October 2011, 02:54 PM
Friend

True enough. And as you say, we have a choice.

Also, I don't really want to undermine the good work S/Print does.

N
Old 27th October 2011, 03:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall Bell View Post
True enough. And as you say, we have a choice.

Also, I don't really want to undermine the good work S/Print does.

N
Very true, they do a good job of treading the fine line between keeping a very comprehensive stock and competing with others to stay in business. Yesterday I ordered a selection of chemicals from them, all of low cost, that are unavailable from anyone else without putting together a minimum value order; that's a service I prize.
Old 11th November 2011, 05:46 PM
Friend

As Dave says, as a regular dealer Silverprint has to charge VAT, which is where the difference comes in, we just rounded it up a fraction to a more regular retail price.

At present the main function of giving the MOD some presence is to help introduce it to the market - if anyone wants to get it ex-VAT that's their option, it suits other people to include it in a larger order of other items from us which helps to swallow the difference.

The ultimate aim is to get it into full production on a larger scale, in which case the VAT charge will probably become mandatory wherever it's bought, but there may be the benefit of a lower base price. Harman have a strong interest, it complements their new 5x4" pinhole camera very well in the push to extending 5x4" film usage.
Old 14th November 2011, 12:45 PM
Friend

Martin,
Fair comment- it was really just an observation. As I said, I don't want to criticise too much the excellent efforts Silverprint and other retailers are making to provide stock of traditional materials.

I also support the initiatives to promote 4x5 film.

Thanks,
Niall
Old 26th November 2011, 02:53 PM
Friend

Just came across this site, which maybe of interest: http://www.mod54.com/index.php
Old 7th December 2011, 05:03 PM
New User

I did get one of the MOD54 directly from Mr MOD as well, and I have to agree there have been quite a few occasions when sheets have come off in agitation, with resultant scratches.

Morgan needs to improve the design by adding grooves for the film on the bottom and top plates... Will need to email him.
Old 1st January 2012, 03:27 PM
Friend

I'm waiting for the MOD57 adapter, which I believe Morgan is working on.
Doing 2 sheets at a time in my orbital is painfully slow (when there 4 more negs to do).
Old 29th January 2012, 07:41 PM
Friend

I recently brought a MOD54 sheet film holder for film development despite having read complaints regarding the film coming adrift during processing, which is disconcerting.
My initial impression is that it is well made except that the bottom plate is slightly too large which causes it to bind in the Paterson drum. This is because the drum tapers from the top to the bottom. In addition the unit is a loose sliding fit on the central Paterson tube. None of this is a problem if you use the gentle invert and tap routine demonstrated by its maker on YouTube; however I prefer to use the twizzle stick provided with the tank to agitate my films by rotation. To overcome this binding/slipping problem (and because I’m unlikely to want this particular tank size for any other purpose) I lifted the unit up about 5mm on the central tube and glued it in place with silicone sealant so that it can be rotated gentle and freely back and forth using the twizzle stick.
Initial tests with some sheets of old film show that the film stays put as it should. When the weather improves a little, and I have exposed some more film I shall develop it in this unit and report back.

In the meantime has anyone else used one in addition to slona?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies