Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th October 2013, 10:40 AM
Friend

Default Robert Capa interview

A short recorded interview with Robert Capa, with a slide show of some images
from the Spanish Civil War.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddes...nish-civil-war

Nick
Old 30th October 2013, 11:21 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I heard the interview on the 'Today' programme the other day. I was surprised by his strong accent! I had never thought about how he spoke!
Thanks for posting the clip with the acompanying photographs.

I have never understood the controversy about the fallen soldier and even less so after seeing an Exhibition of his work and Gerda Taro's at the Barbican some years ago. This, as I recall included contacts of the film involved as well as photographs of Taro's taken on the same occasion. Without diminishing his skill etc. in anyway, it was a lucky photograph and it is sad that this is given the prominance that it has among the large number of other great photographs he took.
Mike
Old 30th October 2013, 01:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
I heard the interview on the 'Today' programme the other day. I was surprised by his strong accent! I had never thought about how he spoke!
Thanks for posting the clip with the acompanying photographs.

I have never understood the controversy about the fallen soldier and even less so after seeing an Exhibition of his work and Gerda Taro's at the Barbican some years ago. This, as I recall included contacts of the film involved as well as photographs of Taro's taken on the same occasion. Without diminishing his skill etc. in anyway, it was a lucky photograph and it is sad that this is given the prominance that it has among the large number of other great photographs he took.
Mike
well said.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 30th October 2013, 05:01 PM
Friend

Makes total sense when he describes the circumstances and meant that there was a very good chance of someone being shot at that point.

Based on this I don't think that it was a "staged" shot but for a very long time in the past and probably even now despite Capa's explanation there will be some who hold that it was staged.

Mike
Old 31st October 2013, 01:21 AM
Friend

I first saw that picture about 30 years ago, and always wondered about the framing of it. I chalked it up to it being taken while under fire, and having no time to frame in any real way. Nice to hear his explanation of it. This was the first time hearing his voice, and I never thought about him having a Hungarian accent. All very interesting....
Old 1st November 2013, 09:15 AM
Friend

Wonderful. Link to this short interview very much appreciated.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies