Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th March 2021, 07:12 PM
Friend

This one, the photo trekker 450 AW (all weather)

https://www.lowepro.com/nl-en/pro-tr...w-lp36775-pww/

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 28th March 2021, 07:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post

Thanks , I like the idea of seeing one in a shop just need to find a camera shop near me that stocks bags. Well when they allowed to open again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28th March 2021, 07:24 PM
Friend

This is the SKU code: LP36775-PWW

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 29th March 2021, 12:01 PM
Friend

Quendil,
I have one of the Lowepro Flipside bags and can recommend it. The best feature is that the opening is against my back when worn (like Nick's Shimoda) so when I put the bag down in the snow or dirt it doesn't get the stuff all over my jacket.

Another thing to look for is that the tripod carrier is centered and not along one side -- I have a Nikon bag like that and it puts the load off balance.

A pouch for a water bottle is very handy too, and I would say essential. Or a hydration bladder like Marty's.

One feature I miss on my larger bag is a waist belt so that the weight is off shoulders and on the hips. Over a long hike with a heavier load, my shoulders do feel it. Also, having the load carried by the shoulders puts my center of gravity higher and I sometimes feel off balance when clambering up or down rocky slopes and such -- this has led to a couple of scary moments when a slip could mean a bad ending.

Last edited by Svend; 29th March 2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 29th March 2021, 07:15 PM
Friend

You could also take a look at Tamrac backpacks.
I have had an Adventure 9 backpack for about 10 years now and it still fits my needs.
Well, kind of. Sometimes I wish I could just take that one extra lens with me, which then will fit in the less protected top part of the backpack.
But then I realize that I've just packed way too much stuff to stay reasonable anyway and take it out again...

I can pack either my OM-1 and OM-2 plus four OM lenses (including the big Zuiko 85-250mm), a teleconverter and a macro-converter.
Or my two EOS cameras (both with standard zoom lens), a flash and two lenses. Oh, and a laptop too, if needed.
Drinks (or a small tripod) go in the outer side pockets.
There are mounting flanges for attaching a tripod to the bottom of the backpack, but I find those not so useful for me.

This specific bag will probably be too small for your needs (and it's probably not manufactured anymore), as it has only 2/3 in use for camera gear, leaving 1/3 at the top for other stuff.
The reason I mention it anyway is that I find Tamrac backpacks very sturdy and mine is fully customizable inside with velcro inserts.
Other brands will probably offer something similar, just wanted to mention from my own experience.

Best advice would be to go and fit your gear in a camera shop, if that's an option!
Old 31st March 2021, 05:47 PM
Administrator

I would think that one you linked to is not suitable for camera gear at all. I find a pack that opens at the back, rather than at the top like that one, is so much easier to use for access. Can't recommend one as my Lowepro is at least 15 years old so obsolete now, but definitely go for one that unzips the whole back.

Oh, and as Svend suggests, definitely go for one with a waist-strap too as it puts the weight on your hips and not your back.

Last edited by Bob; 31st March 2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 31st March 2021, 06:48 PM
Friend

Hi!
I do not own one, but most photographers at the German large format forum recommend the f-stop range, which also features smaller backpacks. https://fstopgear.com/
Best wishes, Frank
Old 1st April 2021, 06:11 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I would think that one you linked to is not suitable for camera gear at all. I find a pack that opens at the back, rather than at the top like that one, is so much easier to use for access. Can't recommend one as my Lowepro is at least 15 years old so obsolete now, but definitely go for one that unzips the whole back.

Oh, and as Svend suggests, definitely go for one with a waist-strap too as it puts the weight on your hips and not your back.
Bob, I assume you were referring to my post?
My backpack does open at the back (or front? ) for camera gear:

The zipper at the top is for the other compartment, which is not intended for camera use (but I do put in a camera or lens regularly).
I bought this backpack specifically for all-day hikes, where I'd want to bring lunch and other stuff as well as my camera gear. Oh, and it needed to match the dimensions for arline carry-on luggage.

Tamrac do sell full-camera-bags though, like the Anvil series:

Just wanted to point towards Tamrac as another backpack manufacturer, to me more choice usually means the capability to find a better match imo!
Old 1st April 2021, 11:55 AM
Friend

Hi - I used a Lowepro Trekker 650 for many years, carrying less gear now so using the Lowepro Protactic 450 - that should be big enough for what you describe.

http://graemestarkphotography.blogspot.com/
Old 1st April 2021, 01:09 PM
Friend

Thanks all, I am hoping the camera shop in Bodmin has some bags in I can look at once they re open. Will definitely go with a back opening one.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies