Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th January 2009, 09:38 PM
Friend

Default Bags for medium format kit

A landmark birthday, and generally being well-behaved mean that I am soon to acquire a Mamiya RB67 The problem is that it won't fit in my current largest camera bag!

I'm aware that several members have such cameras or similar MF SLRs and was wondering if anyone would care to let on what they use(d) for lugging such a hefty beast about the place. I should say that my inclination is towards a soft bag rather than a hard case.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
Old 13th January 2009, 10:01 PM
Friend

When I went down the MF route some years ago I had a Billingham bag. I use a Billingham 225 how which comfortably houses 2 X Leica M bodies- 3 X lenses- light meter- flash gun with plenty of space for film, filters and the like. Leica equipment is quite heavy but this bag carries really well, but I am used to carrying a heavy rucksack full of climbing gear over one shoulder. Hope this helps

Regards Kenneth
Old 13th January 2009, 10:46 PM
Friend

I have two of these, one for 35mm and one for medium format.

I use bottom section for lenses and top section for camera and lightmeter and film. Bottom section is nicely padded for lenses.

Only thing is that the waist belt is useless and I cut it off from both of mine. IMO the sack is not big enough to require a waist belt and a proper waist belt should rest on your hips. The one on this bag is far too high so off it came. Without it the bag is lighter and easier to handle.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...II,2024,14.htm
Old 13th January 2009, 11:26 PM
Administrator

I have two bags I use for my Bronica SQA gear (body, 3 lenses, 3 backs, filters, etc).

If not going far from the car then my Lowepro Nova 5 AW bag goes over my shoulder but if walking any distance then the Photo Trekker AW II backpack comes into play.
Old 14th January 2009, 12:37 AM
Friend

I have more bags then my wife However one of my better purchases is the Ortlieb Photo Shuttle, which is a backpack and roller all in one. The harness is easily removed. It will hold my 4x5 camera, 3 lenses, light meter and film, plus filters and other accessories.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 14th January 2009, 07:21 AM
Friend

I need one with a built-in porter.
Old 14th January 2009, 08:55 AM
Friend

Thanks all.

I must confess a certain leaning towards a Billingham, but that may be because it seems to suit the old-school nature of a fully manual MF camera. Logic then kicks in to tell me that if I intend carrying it and the accompanying tripod (and film and meter and filters etc.) any distance, a rucksack style bag makes much more sense
Old 14th January 2009, 09:02 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethcooke View Post
When I went down the MF route some years ago I had a Billingham bag. I use a Billingham 225 how which comfortably houses 2 X Leica M bodies- 3 X lenses- light meter- flash gun with plenty of space for film, filters and the like. Leica equipment is quite heavy but this bag carries really well, but I am used to carrying a heavy rucksack full of climbing gear over one shoulder. Hope this helps
I know what you mean. Even carrying a monorail about seems quite pleasant compared to toiling up a hill carrying a full rack of gear, ropes and the all important food.
Old 14th January 2009, 10:14 AM
Friend

My favourite bag is the Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II, I can easily get in my Bronica SQAi + 3 lenses, XPan + 2 lenses, filters, spot meter etc. It also can carry pretty much of all of my LF gear too.

I also have a Billingham 445 which is useful for carrying my MF gear within about a mile or so from the car, any more and it really is uncomfortable.

Paul

Arena Photographers
Old 14th January 2009, 11:00 AM
Friend

I have used Billinghams for quite a few years and they are excellent but would advise going for something that goes on your back (Lowepro / Trecker type) for carrying heavy MF kit over long distances.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies