Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th September 2013, 07:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
The frustrating thing is that I can't find anywhere in the UK that only sells stabiliser.
Looking around at published formulas for C-41 stabilizers, they all appear to consist of two basic ingredients - Photo Flo and Formalin.

Ron Mowrey, a retired Kodak chemist and acknowledged expert, suggests 10ml 37% Formalin per litre of working strength Photo Flo - I'd imagine Ilfotol or Tween 20 would work as well as Photo Flo. The only real problem would be purchasing formaldehyde solution (Formalin) in small quantities.
Old 7th September 2013, 08:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
All C41 films need 3 mins 15 sec development time
According to some people the Tetenal instructions say that development can be increased to around 8 minutes, if the temperature is reduced to (I believe) 30 degrees. The shorter time 3 mins 15 sec can lead to streaking especially when using Jobo expert tanks.

nn
Old 7th September 2013, 09:31 PM
Friend

Thanks, nn. Having used the Tetenal kits many years ago I now recall that it was one of the few that stated that dev temp could be reduced with a corresponding increase in time.

However when using a Jobo processor I always stuck to the 100 degrees Fahrenheit with 3 mins 15 secs as I had read from others more experienced than me that a lower temp wasn't ideal.

I never noticed streaking with the Jobo processor and the 1500 series of tanks but I recognise that there might be advantages in terms of control of temp by using lower temps unless you have a thermostatically controlled Jobo which the OP doesn't have.

I'd certainly be interested in the outcomes from anyone who has used a Tetenal kit at a lower temp.

Mike
Old 9th September 2013, 07:41 AM
Friend

The formalin content of C41 stabiizer toughens the gelatine and shrinks it so that the water content reduces, accelerating drying.
Old 9th September 2013, 07:44 AM
Friend

Domestic dishwasher rinse-aid is chemically identical to photographic wetting agents and may be cheaper and easier to obtain locally.
Old 9th September 2013, 10:27 AM
Friend

Well I got round to developing 2 rolls yesterday without using stabiliser and they came out okay. I developed for 3min 30 secs but I might try and leave for another 15-30 seconds next time to see if it gives any more colour & contrast. Its hard to determine if I can improve the negs as the film was only cheap Agfa 200 or old expired Fuji 400 (expired in 2003) so colour is going to be a bit faded anyway.
My process was;
- wash & rinse in the heated water 38c
- Develop for 3min 30 sec @38c
- Blix for 6min 30 sec @35-37c
- Then rinse with warm tap water
- Finally I rinsed the film with Tetenal Mirasol (which I have been using for b&w development)

Overall I am finding colour developing quite easy, the only ball ache is getting the temperature spot on, other than that I am finding it easier than b&w.

Chris
Old 9th September 2013, 10:48 AM
Friend

As you have discovered, you do not need stabiliser and will not for a long time, maybe if ever. Modern C41 films are much better and tougher than previously.

I'll need to do some more research as to exactly how essential stabiliser is in the long term( certainly we are talking years here) and under what conditions C41 negs are more or less susceptible to age related problems

Mike
Old 9th September 2013, 10:49 AM
Friend

Hi, Chris.
Glad to see things turned out well with C-41.
If you encountered color and contrast problems with expired film I would also trying to give a bit more exposure to make up for speed loss due to age.
Regarding the development time, to give you a term of comparison, according to Kodak each 30" more exposure is equivalent to 1 stop push.

Cheers, M.
Old 10th September 2013, 07:25 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
[...]
my opinion is that the Digibase kit is significantly better than any other I have tried.
[...]
I second this. I am really satisfied with Digibase results.

Tags
c41, tetanal
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies