Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th February 2010, 02:24 PM
Friend

Tap water as supplied is generally ok, and won't cause problems, even given that there are local differenes in chemical content, ph, etc. A problem can occur if the water company has been working on a main supply pipe in your area. After completeing the work they put extra flourine and other chemicals into the water to 'flush' the pipes. If you get some of that it will cause havoc.
A secreatary of mine once, whose job it was to clean out the fish tank, re-filled the tank and we got exactly that treated water. The fish were all dead in 10 minutes.
However, at home I use tap water for mixing fixer,stop and toners, etc, and I have a filter on the tap to take out any fine detritus.
All developers, including the ones I sell, are made up with de-ionized/de-mineralised water which I buy in 25 litre containers. I'm not prepared to take any chances with developers.
Old 10th February 2010, 03:23 PM
Friend

Tap water is generally OK for the developers produced by the big manufacturers because they include chemical buffers to protect against variations in water PH and impurities. But for hybrid and mix your own developers such as PMK which require making saturated solutions, distilled or de-ionised water can help avoid problems.
Old 16th February 2021, 01:57 AM
New User

Since the quality of the water in my house has decreased, I bought a reverse osmosis water filter that can make the water clear again and can eliminate viruses.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies