Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd April 2021, 06:20 AM
Friend

Default Durst safelight

I acquired a Durst Triple safelight along with my enlarger. It can be turned three ways to put different coloured gels in the window. The red gel was rather old looking although complete.
Is there anywhere I can buy sheets of red plastic gel to cut to shape that would be darkroom safe so to speak? I've looked online but no success.
Thankyou for any advice
Old 3rd April 2021, 10:07 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetcleaner View Post
Is there anywhere I can buy sheets of red plastic gel to cut to shape that would be darkroom safe so to speak? I've looked online but no success.
Thankyou for any advice
You could try theatrical lighting suppliers and see if they still sell gel sheets although you may need to cut them yourself..
Old 3rd April 2021, 10:10 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetcleaner View Post
Thankyou for any advice
You could try theatrical lighting suppliers and see if they still sell gel sheets although you may need to cut them yourself..

Or you could try SRB Engineering. They do a lot with filters but possibly they may be able to help. I don't know where they are at present but I know they are still in business somewhere in Hertfordshire or Bedfordshire I think. Just google the name it will come up.

Update they are now in Wellingborough, Northants their telephone number is 01933 679161
Old 3rd April 2021, 01:07 PM
Friend

Look online for "Rubylith" it can be bought in rolls.

Mike
Old 3rd April 2021, 02:07 PM
Friend

have you tested it yet it with a piece of photo paper and a coin ,I have 3 safe lights in my darkroom and two look a bit blotchy ,I have no trouble with them .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 3rd April 2021, 05:20 PM
Friend

beetcleaner, if the Durst light is OK for you then a replacement gel will be the answer but at the risk of sounding like answering the question of how do I get from A to B by suggesting you start from C , my experience with Durst Tricolour safelight was poor. It only takes a 5/7 W bulb if I recall which produces very poor light and the plastic gels for each different light are so close to the bulb that getting better light with a slightly higher wattage melts the gels

If I recall one gel was for normal multigrade paper, one I think was for single grade and one allegedly was for colour work. However the problem was that hardly anyone uses single grade and the dark green gel for colour meant that even after 15 mins in the darkness I still could not see a hand waving in front of my face.

In my case I moved to an Ilford 902 safelight for b&w printing and it was a "sea change" for me

Mike
Old 3rd April 2021, 09:54 PM
Friend

I use one of these safelights in my darkroom, with the filter on the red (actually amber) setting. I fitted an LED fridge bulb from Tesco, which is much brighter than the original. In fact so much brighter that I had to fit a thicker diffuser, a piece of bleach bottle, in front of the bulb.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies