Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > FADU YEARBOOK 2014

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th December 2014, 08:28 AM
Friend

a big thanks to Les for giving his time to put the book together. It looks great. I'm looking forward to receiving my copy, and seeing other peoples work close up.

Steve
Old 4th December 2014, 10:45 AM
Friend

Well done Les!
Old 4th December 2014, 11:41 AM
Friend

Just ordered my copy.
Thanx a lot, Les!
It really was a hard time without the Yearbook ;-)

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 5th December 2014, 07:12 AM
Friend

Just flicked trough the book, superb. Thank you to all involved in making it happen.
Cheers
Diz
Old 5th December 2014, 06:40 PM
Friend

Wow! just had a flick through the book. A wonderfull set photos. A big thanks to all those that made it possible.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 9th December 2014, 10:56 AM
Friend

Many thanks to everyone involved (and Les in particular) for all the hard work in putting this together. It looks great.
Michael
Old 9th December 2014, 11:41 AM
Friend

Default Fadu 2015?

Received my copy of the yearbook today, its a pleasure to see other friend's work. It is hard to pick a favourite photograph the standard is very good. Personally I would like to see some text along side the photographs, would this complicate and increase production cost? I once read that if a photograph needs words to describe it the photographer has failed. How do other members feel about the format, just photographs or photographs with a short description: place, time, camera/lens used, paper printed on etc.? Will there be a 2015 yearbook?
Old 9th December 2014, 03:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Received my copy of the yearbook today, its a pleasure to see other friend's work. It is hard to pick a favourite photograph the standard is very good. Personally I would like to see some text along side the photographs, would this complicate and increase production cost? I once read that if a photograph needs words to describe it the photographer has failed. How do other members feel about the format, just photographs or photographs with a short description: place, time, camera/lens used, paper printed on etc.? Will there be a 2015 yearbook?
I think it depends on the purpose of your book. As Patrick Duffy says in his video Bio, the work is the statement. So using that argument text for each image should not be necessasry. But its a question of intent because for example, photo journalism uses photographs to illustrate/emphasize what is being written about.
In the case of a FADU year book I think the short bio of each photographer suffices. It may have been better to expand those bios a little and perhaps have each persons bio on the left page and their photo on the right. But then what if one person has more than one image in the book. The image itself shouldn't need a long writeup unless the book is perhaps an instructional book on how each image was made. And the possibilities go on and on and 40 different people will have 40 different opinions about how it should be done and layed out etc etc etc. That is why it was done the way it was done. Let one or a few decide and just do it.
You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

i.e. There is no right or wrong way which will satisfy everyone.

Overall I think its a perfectly decent job well done.

Now if you are thinking of doing your own book with all of your own images then the world is your oyster and you can structure it exactly how you want.

Proof reading it online my only tiny nitpicking quibble with the way it looks is that the image titles are a little heavy (too bold) for my liking and Mike Hellers name (page/image 2) has not been italicised. But those are very minor issues and it may look much better in actual print for all I know.
Old 9th December 2014, 03:27 PM
Friend

Quote:

I agree the yearbook does not need tech information added. Yearbooks are essentially a celebration of members' work and the images need to be displayed in an uncluttered way. Just as any good exhibition would be.

With regard to a 2015 yearbook this will depend on someone coming forward to take on the work with Blurb or a similar publishing system.

Any volunteers ?

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 9th December 2014, 04:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
... How do other members feel about the format, just photographs or photographs with a short description: place, time, camera/lens used, paper printed on etc.? ...
Just this past October, I was in a group show here in Texas. All black and white analog work - seven photographers. I had 6 pieces in the show (two of which are in the FADU yearbook). Several folks asked about one picture or another: "Where is that?" This is just natural curiosity, of course. While I was happy to tell them the location where the picture was taken, what I really wanted to say was "It doesn't matter."

The photographs "Stripes" and "Untitled" were both taken in May 2014 at Seguaro National Park, outside of Tucson, Arizona. The images (in real life) are no more than 25 feet apart. Now that you know that, how does it change the photographs for you?

They are 35mm. Tmax100 in D76 1:1. Minolta Maxxum 7, 50mm f1.7 lens. Printed on Ilford MGRC. (On MGIV fibre for the exhibition)

Now, do the pictures look different? If so, how?

At the exhibition, no one asked me about camera, film, paper or developers. Other than other photographers, NO ONE CARES! Questions about geography are just curiosity. Perhaps just making conversation. Perhaps it may be close by and familiar, but they have just never "seen" it.

Documentary photography is another matter, I suppose. I did a project several years ago where the "stories" of the places photographed were as important as the images. And so, the stories were printed and displayed at all exhibitions and on the website for the project.

I suppose that in a yearbook for a site like this, where the audience for the book is essentially our membership, perhaps technical and geographical information might have it's place. But, I don't need it. YMMV
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies