Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd July 2015, 12:21 PM
Friend

Default K2 (Yellow) Lens Filter For B&W Flash Photography?

Hi everyone!

Does anyone reguarly use a K2 lens filter for indoor B&W flash photography? I need to shoot a bridal shower, will use my FM3a, SB-28, and 100 to 400 ISO film.

While I almost always use the K2 or other filter outdoors with the same setup, I am unsure of this application.

Thanks

BostonDoug
Old 2nd July 2015, 01:22 PM
Friend

I would tend not to have a filter fitted for indoors flash work. I am curious as to what purpose it would serve. Outdoors it would normally help darken a blue sky, but I haven't heard of a reason to use one indoors. It would still have an effect on blue and yellow surfaces, but that may not be what you want.
Alex
Old 2nd July 2015, 01:39 PM
Friend

I have used a yellow filter indoors with flash, but more to do with forgetting to take it off the camera more than anything else. Will have a slight impact on skintones but much less than an orange. Using a pale green or yellow/green might be better for skintones.
Old 2nd July 2015, 06:56 PM
Friend

I have never tried a yellow filter for indoor flash work. Unless you have two colours that need distinguishing from each other such as lightening red and darkening blue then like Alex I'd wonder what purpose the filter will serve.

If the shot is of a male or males then I believe a green might help their complexion( tanned look?) but it is is a mixed male and female bunch then for every male it improves it might make the female complexion worse.

All theory on my part admittedly. If you feel a yellow might improve things try one shot with and one without of the same scene and see which is better. Either way Doug put the shots in the discussion gallery and we can take a look. I think you need 5 posts to do this but by the time you take and develop the film I am sure you'll have made 5 posts

Welcome to FADU.

Mike
Old 4th July 2015, 01:15 PM
Friend

Thanks for the replies. I will try both with and without the filter and post them for review.

Thanks again.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies