Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th March 2021, 05:11 PM
Friend

Default Rodenstock Trinar 50mm lens

Just got my enlarger setup after being in my attic for the last 25 years plus, all working but my lens is cloudy and looks like a mild fungus inside.

Has anybody got any instructions on how to take it apart, I have looked on youtube and done a search but came up with nothing.

Its not the end of the world my 80mm lens was similar but I managed to strip and clean that one.

It looks like it clips the elements in from the back, but dont want to break it trying.
I have another 50mm so not the end of the world if itt cant be done.

Flack
Old 18th March 2021, 05:39 PM
Friend

I can't help with taking apart the lens, but it can be a problem getting rid of fungus, to be honest, with the price of used top class lenses being at almost peanuts level today it might be worth looking for a top class lens, such as Nikon, Ect, or perhaps a Minolta, which you can get today for around £45 to £65,
Richard
Old 18th March 2021, 10:11 PM
Friend

Oops- read that again. You have a spare.
Old 19th March 2021, 08:59 AM
Friend

The 50mm Trinat is a budget Triplet lens, I have one in mint condition. They aren't designed to be taken apart, I've just checked.

I'd suggest getting a better enlarger lens, there's a mint 50mm f4.5 El-Nikkor BIN + potstage on Ebay that would be a far better lens.

Ian
Old 19th March 2021, 12:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post

I'd suggest getting a better enlarger lens, there's a mint 50mm f4.5 El-Nikkor BIN + potstage on Ebay that would be a far better lens.

Ian
Just checking ebay, there are a huge number of lenses to choose from. But, as Ian says, it's worth getting a good replacement, especially as there are numerous Nikon lenses available from about £20 all in:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...on&_dcat=29986

And the prices are much better than what I think I paid for a Nikon 50mm f4 lens, but I'd pay it again happily. I bought a 50mm and a 80mm lens, and both are so good, I'm very happy printing some old dense negatives with the lens wide open at f4, which gives me lovely sharp images from corner to corner with no problems.

Terry S
Old 19th March 2021, 05:39 PM
Friend

Default Nikon Enlarging lens

Did Nikon make an F4.5 enlarging lens? Is it a typo or is the seller trying it on. You never know with EBAY.

I have just checked with the Nikon list and there were no F4.5 enlarging lenses, just 2 x F4 models:- a 50mm and a 75mm version.

Last edited by John King; 19th March 2021 at 05:47 PM.
Old 20th March 2021, 07:02 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Did Nikon make an F4.5 enlarging lens? Is it a typo or is the seller trying it on. You never know with EBAY.

I have just checked with the Nikon list and there were no F4.5 enlarging lenses, just 2 x F4 models:- a 50mm and a 75mm version.
My have been my typo as I've a lot on my mind

Someone told me the 50mm f4 is actually the same lens as the f2.8 version just restricted down one stop. probably due to Hikon selection for best performance at f2.8.

Stopping dowm one stop from maximum aperture has a huge increase in sharpness with many lenses.

Whatever there's plentty around the £20 mark.

Ian
Old 20th March 2021, 09:59 AM
Friend

My gear has been stored in my attic for the last 25 years, I forgot how much stuff I had, I have just found another lens a Scheider Kreuznach Companar 1:45/75, This gets some good reviews. Not sure how I used to use it but I have no mounting board for it, on my Opemus 6.

Good job I have a 3d printer now as I have just made a board for it..
Old 20th March 2021, 10:41 AM
Friend

The Companar is also a budget lens. Although MF enlarging lenses are a bit rarer than the 50mm lenses, there are still some quality lenses at good prices. About a year ago, I picked up a Rokkor CE 80mm f5.6, which is a very good lens for about L20.
Old 20th March 2021, 07:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
My have been my typo as I've a lot on my mind

Someone told me the 50mm f4 is actually the same lens as the f2.8 version just restricted down one stop. probably due to Hikon selection for best performance at f2.8.

Stopping dowm one stop from maximum aperture has a huge increase in sharpness with many lenses.

Whatever there's plentty around the £20 mark.

Ian
Whoever told you they were the same, is telling porkies, or they don't know what they are on about The F4 version of both lenses have 4 elements whilst the 50mmF2,8 and 80mmF5.6 each have 6. Apart from that the 80mm will cover 6x7 whereas the 75mm is designed for 6x6
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies