Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd October 2010, 09:40 PM
Friend

Default ID11 or D76

ID11 or D76, the formulation is virtually the same, so why a preference. I prefer D76 because I just do and can’t explain why. Is there a reason for preference?
Old 22nd October 2010, 10:18 PM
Friend

D76 and ID11 started life as the same developer made by Kodak and Ilford respectively

However, as time moves on both formulas have changed subtlety.

Now, they are very similar but not exactly the same.

The buffering, used to take care of the variations in water supply, are reasonably different.

Used neat D76 and ID11 development times are almost identical.

However, as the dilution increases, so do the variations in development times due to the effects of buffereing.

Most photographers are fairly conservative, having learned what they need to do to get the best out of a film/developer combo, over years of trials and experiments, they are reluctant to change and go with the other “flavour” of almost identical developer.

If they want to change their film/developer combo, then they will be looking to make a bigger change then trying D76 after years of ID11.

You may well see differences between D76 and ID11 as they are not perfectly identical.

One is not better than the other, they are both excellent but very very slightly different – so if you have learned your own personal set up with either D76 or ID11, then stick to it.

Martin
Old 23rd October 2010, 07:47 AM
Friend

Iv,e used both in the past and can not detect any differance between them,perhaps it is a case of are you a Kodak or Ilford person? Richard
Old 23rd October 2010, 09:27 AM
Friend

For many years I much preferred ID11, because it was cheaper than D76.
Now D76 is cheaper, from Matt at Ag, I definitely prefer D76!

Alan
Old 23rd October 2010, 09:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
ID11 or D76, the formulation is virtually the same, so why a preference.
I prefer D76 because I just do and can’t explain why. Is there a reason for preference?
I used to use ID-11, but had two boxes where the part 'A' went bad and I had to discard them. That was back around the late 1990's.
I switched over to D-76 and have not had any QC issues yet.
I also prefer the single-powder mix over the two-part Ilford product and as a bonus, it usually cost less. I do use Ilford films, papers and other processing products though.
Old 23rd October 2010, 07:33 PM
Friend

Keith, I suppose there is no reason for preference and it is probably because I have used D76 extensively, but ID11 very little. Perhaps it’s because I think D76 is a stronger notation.
Old 23rd October 2010, 08:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
Keith, I suppose there is no reason for preference and it is probably because I have used D76 extensively, but ID11 very little. Perhaps it’s because I think D76 is a stronger notation.
Kodak D-76 is the senior product historically, but ID-11 is the most enduring of the various D-76 clones supplied by other manufacturers.

http://silvergrain.org/Photo-Tech/d-76.html

None of this matters much really, I just happen to prefer mixing and using D-76 and see no reason to change.
Old 23rd October 2010, 08:39 PM
Friend

I used ID-11 when it was less expensive than D-76. Now it's the other way around, so I use D-76. I can't see any difference between the two in use. Maybe it's true that the differences start to show up at higher dilutions; but at 1+1 I see no difference at all. The only time I use a higher dilution is for PanF+, then I use 1+3. Since I've never used ID-11 for PanF+ at that dilution, I can't say if it matters or not. Like the man said, "If you can't see it, it isn't there."
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies