Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th September 2012, 10:33 PM
Friend

Default fuji nps 160 shot with yellow filter on lens, ****

Aaaaargh! Took a few shots on 120 fuji nps 160 with a yellow filter on the lens. I had not used the camera for a while and I was convinced that it had B&W fuji acros in it. So the light meter was set at iso 80 my usual setting for Acros 100. I cannot for the life of me remember how many shots where taken with the filter on, it may be 5 or 6. My quaundry is do I develop the film c4i process colour and have 5/6 yellow photos or is it worth developing the film in B&W chemicles. I understand that if I develop the film in B&W chems I will end up with a strong orange coloured negative that will cause very long exposure times when enlarging. Can the orange mask be bleached away?
Old 1st October 2012, 12:17 AM
Friend

Norm if it's any consolation "Been there, done that!" I don't have the knowledge to say if the mask can be bleached away unfortunately. I just put up with the cast on mine when printed on RA4

If it is only 5/6 shots and you can remember what they are and how they might look with a yellow cast then normal C41 might be OK. If it is a light yellow filter then it might look OK.

I take some comfort from the fact that when books show a ring-around with a yellow cast it is the only one that makes the subject look nearly right.

In my experience C41 colour negs even with the orange mask will print OK on B&W paper at about grade 4 and without abnormally long exposures. That way you have a reasonable chance of OK prints on B&W paper for the 5/6 yellow filter shots and good colour prints on RA4 for the rest.

I hope it works out OK

Mike
Old 1st October 2012, 07:52 AM
Friend

Hi, there.
I think you should be able to correct that in the printing stage if you do RA-4 yourself without much trouble. While it is certainly possible to cross process as BW I would do C-41 in this case. I'm not sure at which degree a BW developer might activate the development of the mask and what color exactly will end up nor if a BW fixer alone is going to get rid of all the undeveloped dyes (since only the silver is going to fully develop). So you might end with a very dense negative due to dye retention. Also uncertain is the degree of contrast you gonna get. So many variables at play, I think it'll be easier to cope with the yellow cast ... The percentage of success in my opinion will be way higher in any case.

Cheers, M.
Old 1st October 2012, 09:13 AM
Friend

I would process it normally. The cast should as Marty says be removable or at least much reduced at the printing stage. Or dare I say with Photoshop's "auto colour" function? .

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 1st October 2012, 11:11 AM
Friend

That was a very trendy move you made there even though you had not intened to do it. I would do as the others suggest and develop as normal.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies