Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th November 2012, 07:20 AM
Friend

a man says to his wife, when I die my photographs will be worth a fortune ,then you hear bang bang and a woman's voice saying i'm rich I'm rich..

this is the thing, maybe some of our photos in 50 or 100 years time may be sold for large amounts of money or be very important social history we may never know .
but at the moment mine are not worth much ,but when I die.????????
Old 29th November 2012, 08:49 AM
Friend

I only tell my family to keep the mounts when I'm gone - now they are valuable
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 29th November 2012, 09:52 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Oh-ho - very good Trevor!
Actually, when you consider the fragility of a photograph and how, often, post-mortem, everything becomes such a burden that people just chuck the lot, it is a wonder anything survives.
I have a couple of signed vintage prints by Joseph McKenzie, which I feel are actually worth something now, but they're more valuable to me as inspiration and the kindness and good wishes with which he gave them to me.
For my own stuff . . destined for the great skip of life . . .
Phil
Old 29th November 2012, 12:08 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Oh-ho - very good Trevor!
Actually, when you consider the fragility of a photograph and how, often, post-mortem, everything becomes such a burden that people just chuck the lot, it is a wonder anything survives.
Phil
That is why things get valuable - rarity is the key. The more people that keep anything including photographs in case they may be valuable ensures that they are less likely to be!!

What happens to my 'legacy' is up to the kids and their situation at the time I cast of this mortal coil. I won't care, I shall be dead!! I still have all my father's negatives (some from WW2) and many of his slides that have not gone too mouldy. They are a bit of a burden but I wish I had the energy and incentive to do something with them: I have enough trouble coping with what to do with my own!! I expect I will hang on to them until they get in the way - at present in a WW2 Ammo Box that was my mother's kit box in the RAMC during the war, that lives under the bed in the spare room; now that has sentimental value and is useful!!
Mike
Old 29th November 2012, 02:19 PM
Friend

is this the British way down grading everything we do we put our heart and sole in to a print, people say that's fantastic and what do we say oh its alright but I could have done better,,, keep the frames chuck the rest .
whats the most important picture you own I bet its a picture of your mum or dad or both ,artistic Merritt 0 print quality 0 value priceless
there is a growing hobby at the moment ancestry find my past family trees that gives our photos some importance,, value wise they are priceless but so are the crown jewels ......
if all of David bailey photos where in a burning building and he could only grab one I bet it would be one of his mother ..
that box of photos that you have taken over the years is a time machine when you start looking at them they take you back to that time what more value do you want as I said priceless
Old 29th November 2012, 04:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
If the price of silver keeps going up like it has done in recent years, the B&W prints may have a significant value for the metal content. The negatives in sufficient quantity would be of value to a recycler even at today's prices - Unless you happen to turn out to be the next Vivian Mayer.
Old 29th November 2012, 04:41 PM
Friend

I found a use for my DSLR and a macro lens - I photographed a load of slides that my late father had taken. Taking photos of slides rather than scanning is so damn quick and cheap, what loss of quality there may be is worth it - my Mother was absolutely delighted when I gave her a DVD full of digitized photos from her and her late husband's earlier years. Maybe Mike, you could do the same. It was also a very pleasurable experience that my young son was all too keen to help with - he loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
That is why things get valuable - rarity is the key. The more people that keep anything including photographs in case they may be valuable ensures that they are less likely to be!!

What happens to my 'legacy' is up to the kids and their situation at the time I cast of this mortal coil. I won't care, I shall be dead!! I still have all my father's negatives (some from WW2) and many of his slides that have not gone too mouldy. They are a bit of a burden but I wish I had the energy and incentive to do something with them: I have enough trouble coping with what to do with my own!! I expect I will hang on to them until they get in the way - at present in a WW2 Ammo Box that was my mother's kit box in the RAMC during the war, that lives under the bed in the spare room; now that has sentimental value and is useful!!
Mike
Old 29th November 2012, 05:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
is this the British way down grading everything we do we put our heart and sole in to a print, people say that's fantastic and what do we say oh its alright but I could have done better,,, keep the frames chuck the rest .
whats the most important picture you own I bet its a picture of your mum or dad or both ,artistic Merritt 0 print quality 0 value priceless
there is a growing hobby at the moment ancestry find my past family trees that gives our photos some importance,, value wise they are priceless but so are the crown jewels ......
if all of David bailey photos where in a burning building and he could only grab one I bet it would be one of his mother ..
that box of photos that you have taken over the years is a time machine when you start looking at them they take you back to that time what more value do you want as I said priceless
That's just the Oedipus complex in you.
Old 29th November 2012, 06:28 PM
Friend

Adrian and Big Paul - the family archive is a sorely neglected thing - often confined to old suitcases etc, yet it's always amazing how well preserved these old photographs are. I just recently scanned some photos for my parents-in-laws 50th and they were in fine condition - a bit crinkled at the edges but aren't we all!
If anyone is interested, I have written about some of my own family archive here
Phil
Old 29th November 2012, 07:20 PM
Friend

Nice blog Phil. However I must confess I didn't read every word but I really enjoyed the family images and recollections. I find it difficult to read a lot of material on a VDU, the same with photographs, after looking at about a couple of dozen, no matter how good they are, I've had enough. Put it in book form or on the exhibition wall then that's a 'horse of a different colour' (ref. Wizard of Oz)
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies