Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st April 2021, 10:59 AM
Friend

Default The Art of Black and White Developing 5th ed.

The Art of Black and White Developing Fifth Edition, by John Finch.
I bought John Finchs' first edition of this book many moons ago and found it very informative, easy to read and understand. I have found the new 30% bigger version of this book to be just as good. John has a tried and tested common sense approach to his photography and printing. The book is aimed at people who want to make film and print developing chemicals at home that are every bit as good as manufactured offerings. The book is not just a list of formulas like the Anchell & Troop books, it is full of practical advice and actual case studies. A good resource for beginners and "old dogs" like me! If you are not familiar with John Finch take a look at his Youtube channel Pictorial Planet for a flavour of what he is about.
Old 21st April 2021, 11:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
The Art of Black and White Developing Fifth Edition, by John Finch.
I had a look at various sites, to maybe buy the book Norm, but the links took you to LuLu self publishing and it's a bit more than I expected and I can't find a second hand copy anywhere, at a decent price.

I've only scanned the info, but it mentions Facebook and all the usual places. Have you Norm, or anyone else, checked out any of these sites for this, and if so is it worth while?

Hopefully I'll have a bit more time, come the weekend, to have a better browse?

Terry S
Old 21st April 2021, 12:27 PM
Friend

abebooks has four copies but three are in the US and one is in Germany - and all have startling postage costs.
Old 21st April 2021, 12:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I had a look at various sites, to maybe buy the book Norm, but the links took you to LuLu self publishing and it's a bit more than I expected and I can't find a second hand copy anywhere, at a decent price.

I've only scanned the info, but it mentions Facebook and all the usual places. Have you Norm, or anyone else, checked out any of these sites for this, and if so is it worth while?

Hopefully I'll have a bit more time, come the weekend, to have a better browse?

Terry S
http://www.pictorialplanet.com/Book/book.html
Old 21st April 2021, 12:31 PM
Friend

Abe Books is showing several dealers in Germany and USA have this book. And Amazon US and Cda. both have it in stock. Price seems reasonable to me. It's the 2009 edition...not sure if that's the 5th ed. (it doesn't say).

Hope this helps...

Edit: Michael beat me to it Faster fingers
Old 21st April 2021, 02:40 PM
Friend

Alibris lists a 2009 copy in Oxfordshire.

https://www.alibris.com/booksearch?m....y=0&hs=Submit
Old 21st April 2021, 04:59 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=GoodOldNorm;139891]The Art of Black and White Developing Fifth Edition, by John Finch.

I came across his videos last night purely by chance I was looking at a Shootlikeaboss video about his experience with Pyro 510 which he had just tried and was very happy with. I then looked at other videos on 510 and found John Finch's

I had never heard of him until then but yes his presentation about how to make it was very good. There is a real skill in doing those "How to" videos properly about making chemicals and I'd say he has it

Mike
Old 11th May 2021, 11:37 AM
Friend

Having browsed through an earlier edition I have been after a copy of this for some time.
The memory jog by GoodOldNorm was most welcome.
Hardly spent any money during lockdown, so I bit the bullet and ordered a copy from Lulu.
A pleasant email arrived to say they had my order and would pass it over to the printing department, printed on demand.
Happily the book arrived about six days later.
Excellent book presented in an easy to understand way.

Cheers.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies