Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th May 2021, 11:43 AM
Friend

More doom and gloom about stocking up.

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...-the-eu-144562

Trying hard to keep off the politics involved .

Cheers.
Old 15th May 2021, 01:08 PM
Administrator

I have been waiting for two months for a German built item purchased via Speed Graphic, still no sign of it.
Old 15th May 2021, 01:30 PM
Friend

Yes there clearly are problems which hopefully for the bigger players will be temporary and eventually ironed out but this kind of a break from a system we had for over 40 years had to have some difficulties.

The extra paperwork which is equal to time and therefore expense may well eliminate some of the smaller players at least in the short term

Mike
Old 15th May 2021, 01:50 PM
Friend

I don't get photographic supplies from Germany, but it is not just VAT that is causing problems, we don't and never have had VAT, and any tax due is collected upon arrival in the island, but I have a 35 year old classic mercedes, which is my show car, and daily driver, and it has been off the road since Febuary this year, it needs a part, part costs £150, it is made by Mercedes, but is not available, as aremany parts that used to be, anywhere in the UK, I have tried every/ main and not so main Mercedes dealer in the UK, so it is on order from Mercedes Germany, I have been told by the suppliers that, (Their claim) that due to Covid and Brexit I could be waiting a year for it to get year, and the paper work is around 3 inches or more thick, I ordered a similar part, last year, when Covid was at it's height, arrived within 2 days. I needed a part for my Wifes sports car, american, last week arrived in 5 days, in the meantime I don't have transport, so luckily Sue's car is now running so we can get around.
I know this is not Photographic related, but it gives an insight to problems caused by Brexit, and not caused by VAT,
Richard
Old 15th May 2021, 02:54 PM
Friend

Richard, I was always of the understanding that Jersey and the other islands were never in the EU, if that is true I cannot see what the problem is. Or are they being bloody minded?
Old 15th May 2021, 03:21 PM
Friend

We were never in the UU, we were associate members, which allowed us freedoms to export into the EU, we had to follow certain rules, such as freedom of movement, but Jersey people are not allowed to work in the EU, it is stamped in our passports, unless we have a parent or Grandparent born in the UK, luckily for me my Grandmother was born in London, but the rest of my family, as far back as we can find are Jersey, but we are now covered by the EU/UK trade agreement, we were forced into it, for instance, look at the problems we had with French Fishermen a week or so ago, we bent over as far as we could to allow them to keep fishing in our waters, we could have enforced the license as agreed in January, we allowed them to carry on as normal until May, but then we had to enforce the license as told to by the EU, when we did we get the French threating to sto supplying Electtricity to us, and all the other problems, so we do what the Fishermen want and are talking directly to them, we are now being told by the French Goverment and Brussels that this is against EU rulkes and we must talk via the French Goverment, via the UK, and the UK tells us to handle this ourselves, we give the French further time to send us the information we are told we need to allow them to fish in our waters, and we are castigated for this, yet long before this EU we had in around 1863, signed a Bay of Granville fishing agreement, no licences, French and Jersey fishermen have fished these waters together for over 200 years in complete harmony,
but when the EU, brexit come into the system everything changes, and it affects French worse than us as we are so close to France that some French fisherman leave harbour, and are within a mile of Jersey Waters, as per this stupid Brexit treaty, and I guess this problem with car parts is all part of the same problem, and it is affecting even the main dealers, who have been, in some cases, handling these cars almost foreever, are having problems with both new cars,parts Ect, only since January this year, started January first, we wre told it was teething problems, but it is getting worse rather than better, The Japanese car dealers are rubbing their hands in glee, you can get a new Japanese car and loads of spares in a week at most, German parts and Cars seem to be in permeant short supply, and reading things it seems that the same thing is happening with Photographic supplies from the EU, they are so slow coming though, from the main makers, stupid
Richard
Old 15th May 2021, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Can we please leave it there about post-Brexit problems. It's all fine so far, but it's only a matter of time before someone goes into a rant...

Cheers, Bob.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies