Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment Manuals > Manuals Discussion Forum

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th June 2016, 09:45 AM
Friend

Default Caution when seeking manuals online!

I was recently looking for an online copy of an enlarger accessory. It's not in our archive, so I searched online. One entry I came across appeared to offer a free online copy. When I tried to download, it advised that I had to sign up to a site called 'donnaplay' to access the text. I did that, only to find that they don't seem to have the manual!! Worse still, I seemed to be locked into some sort of monthly subscription. The cancellation procedure was also designed to prevent effective cancellation before the 5 day 'free trial' expired. I'm not sure I've fully extricated myself yet. I don't usually fall for these things, but I really got caught unaware with this. I thought I should mention it to prevent anyone else feeling trapped as I did. Be careful out there!
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28th June 2016, 10:30 AM
Friend

Thanks Alex for the head up. Sorry to hear that you have been caught out.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 28th June 2016, 10:42 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
The cancellation procedure was also designed to prevent effective cancellation before the 5 day 'free trial' expired. I'm not sure I've fully extricated myself yet.
Presumably you paid by credit card - If so, get on to your CC provider as a matter of urgency and make sure they have canceled any Continuous Payment Authority. Get it confirmed in writing and you will be able to claim back any money this outfit takes.

If you used Paypal, blocking any payments should be a little easier, but I'm not sure of the process.
Old 28th June 2016, 12:18 PM
Friend

Thanks Mitch and Paul. I did use a card on the understanding that no money would be taken. It seems to suggest that you can access a certain amount of content free, and pay for any additional service. Once you're in, you realise it's all geared to collect a monthly subscription, unless you manage to fight your way out. I will do as you recommend Paul.
Alex

Old 28th June 2016, 01:43 PM
Friend

What manual are you after maybe a friend here on FADU may have a copy?
Old 28th June 2016, 02:13 PM
Friend

Sorry to hear about this, Alex. The internet is about as safe as C Dickens' Artful Dodger's London these days. Somehow someone has to pay for "free things"

On a lighter note I have a secret list of ever-changing questions I ask of the wife every morning to ensure that the wife I went to bed with is the same one I have woken up with.

These days the dictum "paranoia rules OK" is true more often than it is not

Mike
Old 28th June 2016, 02:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Sorry to hear about this, Alex. The internet is about as safe as C Dickens' Artful Dodger's London these days. Somehow someone has to pay for "free things"

On a lighter note I have a secret list of ever-changing questions I ask of the wife every morning to ensure that the wife I went to bed with is the same one I have woken up with.

These days the dictum "paranoia rules OK" is true more often than it is not

Mike
Ihavegotaheadache is a very common password used by some women, I would not choose that as it is very common and predictable
Old 28th June 2016, 05:46 PM
Friend

It was the Durst CLS 66 manual. A copy would be good, although Martin Howard has been very helpful in answering my questions in another thread. What really annoyed me was that the site I visited claimed to have the manual, but when I signed in it was nowhere to be found. Lesson learned for me, but I thought I would mention it as I would hate to think anyone here found themselves in the same situation.
Alex

Old 28th June 2016, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the 'heads up' Alex.
Old 28th June 2016, 07:04 PM
Friend

I have never researched these kind of free download photographic sites but I know that the Butkus site is authentic but he may not offer manuals on darkroom equipment. He relies on contributions from downloaders.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies