Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Overseas

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th June 2009, 11:53 AM
Friend

Default Iceland - the land of fire and ice.

Having just returned from a 19 day trip to Iceland I’m finding it a little difficult to settle back into my ‘normal’ routine. The island is simply ‘magical’, so quiet, few people and few cars. You can drive for miles without seeing another person or car.

Icelanders are very friendly and helpful, always willing to give advice when asked. They are calm and measured; their advice always seems well considered.

I went with fellow photographers and Arena members, Paul Foley and Tim Rudman. We’ve known each other for sometime so it was terrific fun sharing time together doing photography and taking time out to relax. Meal times were always a hoot!

We stayed in some of the smaller hotels and guest houses to help keep the costs down. They were all excellent, food and accommodation was very good indeed.

Our photography was confined to the S.E. part of the island between the old fishing village of Eyrabakki to just N of the delightful coastal town of Hofn. We encountered icebergs, hot springs, waterfalls, sea stacks, canyons, lava fields, deserts of black sand, glaciers, and snow capped mountains and volcanoes, beautiful towns and churches and we were attacked by Arctic turns on several occasions. I managed to squeeze in some urban photography around the small towns of Eyrabakki, Vik and Hofn.

For portability and weight I took with me my Ebony SW23 (6x9cm) camera, 4 lenses, 2 roll film backs, Pentax digital light meter, Gitzo Systematic carbon tripod with a Manfrotto 410 geared head and over 70 rolls of 120 film. I shot just over 60 rolls, mainly Delta 100 but some Delta 400 and Neopan 400 for the extra speed on windy days and hand held use.

The camera gear and film was taken as hand luggage, the gear in a small Tamrac back pack and the film in a Billingham Hadley bag. The tripod and head was packed in a suitcase as hold luggage. As it turned out I took too much clothing and one of the lenses was only used for one shot. The wide angle lens, a 47mmXL Super Angulon was used the most. I just had to photograph those wonderful big skies.

As one would expect we had all types of weather from sun to snow on the high ground. Temperatures were up to a balmy 13’C on some sunny days.

We were there from the 23 May to 11 June and it was never dark. On one occasion Tim Rudman was photographing around midnight!

I’ve started to process the film and once this is done I’ll try and put a few in the album section.

Will I return? You bet given half a chance for it’s such an enchanting place and I for one have fallen under its spell
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 14th June 2009, 12:02 PM
Friend

Thanks for this report, Trevor!
It`s a good guide, Iceland is still my dreamland!
I will hopefully go there some day!?

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 14th June 2009, 12:31 PM
Friend

Hope you had a good tern out when you took a tern for the worse.

Envious, for sure.
Old 14th June 2009, 01:36 PM
Friend

Thanks Sandeha, I think one of those terns must have got me when I had a turn for the worse while typing up the report
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 14th June 2009, 02:06 PM
Friend

Thanks Trevor, I look forward to seeing your pictures.
Old 14th June 2009, 02:39 PM
Friend

Thanks Trevor, sounds like a photographers dream, for me one day i'll get there Richared
Old 14th June 2009, 02:47 PM
Friend

Thanks Trevor for such an informative report. I have always wanted to go there myself so must now try a bit harder to get there! I will look forward to seeing yor images in due course. I am sure the experience has done you some good ;-)

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 14th June 2009, 03:30 PM
Friend

Nice one Trevor - hurry up and post some pictures so I can persuade my wife we need to go there! One question - is the place any cheaper due to their dire economic situation? The phenominal costs of living have put me off so far.

Rob
Old 14th June 2009, 03:34 PM
Friend

Great post and looking forward to seeing your prints. I'm struck down with envy, Iceland gives me such wanderlust. I hope to get there someday.
Old 14th June 2009, 05:25 PM
Friend

Certainly Iceland is more affordable then it was a few years ago. It cost me about £2000 for the 20 day stay which included flights from Gatwick, B&B and vehicle hire (4x4 Toyota Land Cruiser). You need to cost in evening meals which is on average about £20 per meal and the cost of fuel (awaiting final costs from CC statement).

Tim was the only one of us who had been before (2007) and he noted the drop in overall costs. Even wine is now cheaper.

Working along side Tim Rudman and Paul Foley was an absolute treat and as I said we did have a fun time as well as time spent on our photography.

I would certainly like to return especially to see the northen lights which start about August as the skies start to darken.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies