Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th March 2019, 11:41 AM
Friend

I would have thought that it would be unlikely to get a bad batch of developer from one of the major manufacturers but I do wonder with chemicals, that have a limited shelf life, how long have they sat in a retailer's store before being sold? No doubt retailers would be reluctant to bin slow selling stock.

Tony
Old 12th March 2019, 01:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
I would have thought that it would be unlikely to get a bad batch of developer from one of the major manufacturers but I do wonder with chemicals, that have a limited shelf life, how long have they sat in a retailer's store before being sold? No doubt retailers would be reluctant to bin slow selling stock.

Tony
Check out my post number 04. I was sent some old stock of Fotospeed WT print developer, dated BB 2011, which as it turned out works fine. Whether they noticed the date or not, when sending it out to me, I don't know. But it does show that some chemicals are VERY slow movers, but also keep much longer that thought when unopened.

The seller was good enough to send me some more up to date replacements and told me to keep the old ones, all at no extra charge. So now I have a good supply for the future.

Terry S
Old 12th March 2019, 03:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Check out my post number 04. I was sent some old stock of Fotospeed WT print developer, dated BB 2011, which as it turned out works fine.
Terry S
It's a propos that you mention this Terry as I have come across 1L of the same developer with Warmtone in a darkroom clear-out and a best before of almost a year later. Unfortunately I had opened it but I note that the sides are still "sucked-in" when presumably I squeezed the air out after using some of it.

I'l try it in the next day or so and let you all know what I find

Mike
Old 26th March 2019, 02:08 PM
Friend

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Just started using FD10 and, though it’s early days, it looks to be outstanding. Delta 100 negs are perfect to my eyes and I’ve never managed to get HP5 looking this good. It’s also cheap and versatile. If Fotospeed can keep supplying it I think I’ll keep buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad it works well with Delta 100 as well as HP5+. I was thinking if is suitable for T-MAX films as well.
Old 1st June 2020, 09:54 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
The end of my story is that in the end I never got good negatives, I started with the suggested times, 2 were given, and neither worked for me, very thin negatives, almost nothing onnthem and the edge marking was non existiant, tried extanding the times, and event at double and treble the times I was still getting un printable negatives, in the end I rhrew away 4 1/2 litres as it was not working for me, and within a month of opening it was dark brown, My very first films were not to bad at extended times, but after 1 or 2 films it just would not work whatever I did, I will say that the first 2 films were not to bad, so I bought a 5 liter bottle, but while it was on it's way the stuff just stopped working, and 1n the 1/2 liter of the 5 I managed to use I got nothing, then first the original 1/2 liter bottle went dark brown and the 5 liter bottle went the same way, I tried contacting Fotospeed by both phone and Email, got a promise to phone/email back but I am still waiting, could have been a bad batch, the batch numbers on both the 1/2 liter and 5 liter bottles were the same, but for me it was back to safety and good old Rodinal.. I know other people have got good results with it, using the suggested times, In fact Larry Gallifod, who tried to help me find out what was happening, ( he was more helpful than Fotospeed) swore by it and it was his main film developer, I never did find out what was wrong, my only conclusion with other good reports was a bad batch, but I tend to be a once bitten twice shy person
Richard

I too have recently encountered the same problem. I thought it might be down to how I was storing it but now I'm not so sure. I managed to get about 5 good results out of it, then as you say no matter what you try, you end up with thin unusable negs. It's very frustrating and for me has thrown my confidence a bit as I've only just got back into developing from home
Old 1st June 2020, 11:34 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh G View Post
I too have recently encountered the same problem. I thought it might be down to how I was storing it but now I'm not so sure. I managed to get about 5 good results out of it, then as you say no matter what you try, you end up with thin unusable negs. It's very frustrating and for me has thrown my confidence a bit as I've only just got back into developing from home
I suggest you ditch the remainder of your FD10 and try something new, I can suggest 2 I use all the time, one is ID11, which you mix from a powder, and I use as stock, develop first film at, say 10 minutes( igive the time I use for Fomapan, my main film) then add 10% for each additional film that is 2 add 19%,3 addd 20% and so on till film 10 per liter add 90%, The other is Rdinal, sold these days as RO9/one shot, for HP5 use at 1/25, that is 20ml in 480 water, and Rodinal keeps forever, even if it goes tar dark it still works fine,
Richard
Old 3rd June 2020, 09:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh G View Post

Sorry to hear that. I was quoted above (by Keith Tapscott) saying what an excellent developer FD10 is and I stand by that. I had great results and no problems at all with it.

I’m using Microphen at the moment but that’s because I got fed up being tied to a tripod so I’m now enjoying the freedom that comes from shooting Delta 400 at 800 ISO. If I’d had times for pushing Delta 400 using FD10 (I’m too lazy to do the tests myself) then I’d have given it a go.

I can’t shed any light on what happened to your FD10. Perhaps it’s just particular about storage? I got through mine quite quickly and it was all fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies