Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Contact printing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th March 2016, 02:37 PM
Friend

Mike, your friend's father must have been using a gaslight paper:
http://notesonphotographs.org/index....Gaslight_Paper
Old 20th March 2016, 09:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
Mike, your friend's father must have been using a gaslight paper:
http://notesonphotographs.org/index....Gaslight_Paper
I was afraid you'd say that, Miha. So the benefit of this new Contact paper compared to placing a large neg on normal paper is simply the extra time it takes to expose it, giving extra time for any dodging required or are there other benefits?

What would you use as the light source? Could a neg mask minus any neg in an enlarger be used as it is for normal contact sheets with the bellows raised as it is for a 8x10 contact sheet for 36 frames of 135?

Mike
Old 20th March 2016, 10:04 PM
Friend

An enlarger with empty carrier will work. I also saw an article recommending a 200 or 300 Watt bulb. I want to try that myself, but traditional bulbs are quite hard to find. My results with the enlarger were not very good. I may need to refine my technique.
Alex.
Old 21st March 2016, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
An enlarger with empty carrier will work. I also saw an article recommending a 200 or 300 Watt bulb. I want to try that myself, but traditional bulbs are quite hard to find. My results with the enlarger were not very good. I may need to refine my technique.
Alex.
The data sheet suggests an incandescent bulb around 100w, see attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 58925_5_PDF-Datasheet.pdf (500.1 KB, 430 views)
Old 21st March 2016, 09:50 AM
Friend

Thanks Barry. That might make the bulb search a bit easier. It's a well written data sheet.
Alex
Old 21st March 2016, 06:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
are there other benefits?
I would hope they are.
Old 21st March 2016, 07:16 PM
Friend

I am still left puzzled about the advantage of this Lupex sheet. A 100 watt bare bulb placed over the contact print gives time for dodging and burning because the paper is much slower than ordinary FBMG such as Ilford but the extra light compensates so the time is comfortable but not excessive as it would be with an enlarger.

However ordinary FB is much faster so the lower level of light from an enlarger will give a similar time presumably and one which can be varied by the lens aperture so still giving time for comfortable dodging and burning?

This leaves only the extra fine grain in this paper compared to MG FB as its advantage, I think.

I wonder if there is a really appreciable difference compared to MGFB as contact paper under an enlarger?

Sorry if this sounds curmudgeonly but it seems crucial to me otherwise why bother?

Yes I recognise that this pre-supposes that the user has access to an enlarger. If not then of course this paper provides a benefit which would be denied to a user of faster MGFB under a bare 100 watt bulb which would give extremely short times.

On the other hand would a 25/15 watt bare bulb give the same or similar time with MGFB?

Mike
Old 21st March 2016, 08:08 PM
Friend

Mike, this new Adox paper is aimed at people making contact prints from large format negatives. You can use either an enlarger, or a bare bulb as a light source. The emulsion is of a different type from enlarging paper, and produces better results in its intended use. It's not really much use for enlarging, although that would be possible if you could put up with very long exposures. The results, however, are likely to be inferior to an enlargement made on paper designed for that purpose. I can't imagine anyone buying this Adox paper, or Fomalux, for anything other than contact printing. The advantages in that regard are fine grain and a long tonal scale. I understand that, if you produce a suitable negative, contact prints on this type of paper will be very impressive. I haven't quite achieved that yet, but I've been seeking advice recently to set me on the right direction. I have made contact prints of 4x5 negatives on enlarging paper, and I'm not that keen on them.
Alex
Old 21st March 2016, 08:29 PM
Friend

Thanks Alex. That explains it.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies