Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th July 2011, 07:46 PM
Friend

Default Yashica-Mat - a few queries

I'm in the fortunate position of just having been given a Yashica-Mat TLR. (olderversion without a meter). it's in excellent condition and has a full set of filters and a leather ER case. There's also a 'Yashinon Aux. Wideangle Adapter'. I understand it's quite a good camera and I can see myself getting a bit of use from it. Has anybody got any experience with this camera and any tips or tricks I should know? My specific questions are:

It does not appear to have a cable release socket so how does one use it on a tripod? (I'd probably use the self-timer unless there's one I haven't found yet!)

How many extra stops should I allow with the wide-angle converter (and is it any good anyway)?

Any info welcome.

Rob
Old 10th July 2011, 08:59 PM
Friend

Around the shutter release there should be a little collar that unscrews, leaving a wide male thread around the button. You can then get old (sometimes called leica-style) realeases that screw on to this, like a sort of cap that covers the entire button and presses it when you press the cable release. They come up on ebay all the time.

One peice of advice, its worth unscrewing the viewing hood and giving the ground glass on those things a clean, they can get pretty dim and mucky if its never been cleaned.
Old 11th July 2011, 03:25 AM
Friend

No extra exposure needed for auxiliary converter lenses.
Is it any good? Not as good as a prime lens but try it and see!
Old 15th July 2011, 12:34 PM
Friend

Maybe this site could help you:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/yashica.htm

Several Yashica Mat cameras are listed & you can download instruction book(s).
Old 25th July 2011, 02:59 PM
Friend

This should be rule for all lenses(cameras), but I suppose that it can be mentioned. Yashinon is(despite its coating) quite prone to backlight. It is maybe little bit softer than Rollei's Tessar, but this can be advantage when shooting portraits.
For me it is simple, reliable camera. It was my first MF and I am very glad to have it. I wish You nice pictures and good light.
Old 25th July 2011, 03:08 PM
Friend

Rob

Re the Cable Release, I have just ordered this attachment from this guy. http://www.camerahunter.com/category_141/Yashica.htm

I don't feel that it is a lot of money to spend, even including the postage.

Stoo
Old 25th July 2011, 06:39 PM
Friend

Rob,

I have the same model and have also owned later metered variations but in my opinion this earlier one has the best mechanicals. I believe the telephoto and wideangle adapters are of fairly poor quality but might suit certain shots.

I can recommend rolleinar closeup lenses though, superb quality and easy to work with.

Enjoy the camera, that lens is superb with black and white film.

Steve
Old 26th July 2011, 06:11 AM
Friend

I have a Yashica 124G and the 3.5 Yashinon fitted is very sharp. Plus the W/A and Tele lens sets and haven't found them to be of poor quality. You can tell a difference closely examining a 10x8 print.
Here and there I've picked up various supplementary lenses, some intended for video cameras, and had satisfactory results. These are screw fitted and work with a Rollei bayonet B1-46mm adapter and maybe a stepping ring. Not only on the Yashica but my Microcord.

To digress a little on 35mm lenses too. A 1.5+ tele lens on a f1.4 Nikkor was very interesting for portrait and for live music with a 0.4- on another. Faster than a zoom in low light and no one was counting lines per mm.
Supplemetary lenses don't affect speed just focussing distance.

I aw a Yashica-Mat SH a couple of weeks back and it seemed sturdier made than the 124 which makes use of plastics in it's construction.

I had a TL Electro-X as a student and the 50mm f1.4 Yashinon on that was very crisp.
Old 26th July 2011, 09:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo Batchelor View Post
Rob

Re the Cable Release, I have just ordered this attachment from this guy. http://www.camerahunter.com/category_141/Yashica.htm

I don't feel that it is a lot of money to spend, even including the postage.

Stoo
Thanks for that, Stoo. I've just ordered one, too. I've got the proper cable release, but if I lose or break it I suspect a replacement may be hard to come by. I'm really enjoying using this camera. I shall develop my first films from it this weekend.

Rob
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies