Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Negative Printing Exchange

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th October 2021, 08:53 PM
Friend

Default Negative Printing Exchange Round 6

Yes, this is a call for expressions of interest in a new round of the Negative Printing exchange.
First, and for new members, a brief recap of the history of this exchange: Four previous rounds ran successfully. Members swapped negatives, with a view to printing each others work. Images would then be posted in a gallery to show the different possible interpretations from a single negative. On Round 5 the exchange somewhat lost its way, with no images posted, and no further rounds announced.
See here: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ead.php?t=7725

There has been much discussion about revitalising the Negative exchange in what is possibly FADU's most epic thread, with 45,500 views in 10 years.
See here: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ead.php?t=4924

For Round 6 we will steal all the best bits I can take from the previous Exchanges, tempered with comment from the above thread.
The Exchange will operate as follows, which should be familiar to participants in the Print exchange. We are coming to the end of the year, which is a mixed blessing. The mail can be slow (which will be reflected in the time allowed) but many of us will have some free time over the festive period for printing.

1. Each new round will be announced in a thread in this sub-forum, with a closing date for expressions of interest set. Members wishing to participate should post in the thread, and send me a PM containing their full postal address.

2. Once the closing date has passed I will pair members, initially on a random basis. (Should the exchange become well established then on further rounds members will be paired on a rotation to give variety)

3. If an uneven number of members wish to participate I will act as 'wild-card' to make a pair.

4. Round 6 will be restricted to 35mm format. This would still seem to be the most popular format used on FADU, and will hopefully encourage participation. Should any member be keen to participate who cannot use 35mm please PM me.

5. Participants will receive a PM with details of their exchange partner.

6. Participants should send a negative accompanied by a print they have made from it. The print should be contained within a second inner, sealed, envelope.The intention is to allow the recipient of the negative to see the sending photographers own interpretation of that image (No Peeking!) Post in this thread when negative sent.

7. Participants are asked to be careful with the negative entrusted to them. However, as adults, we must all accept post goes astray, negatives can become scratched, and other mishaps occur. Your participation will be taken as acceptance of the condition that no fault or blame will be attributed in the event of accidental damage. If you can't afford to lose it, don't send it.

8. Participants are free to interpret the negative they receive any way they want. It's open season on image cropping, paper choice, toning, alternative process.

9. By closing date, return the negative packed as you received it, along with your print(s) of it. Post here when print sent.

10. At the conclusion of the exchange members should post the results to a gallery which will be created. We would hope to see two prints from each negative: one by the author of the negative and one by their exchange partner.
As here: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ry.php/cat/590

Don't worry, the introduction to Round 7 will be shorter, once we are all familiar with the process.

For Round 6 of the FADU negative exchange the timetable will be:
Closing date for expressions of interest midnight10 November 2021 (Allows two weeks to decide)
PMs notifying you of your exchange partner will go out within 48 hours
Deadline for posting your negative to your exchange partner will be 15 December 2021. This gives 5 weeks, and should get your negative to your exchange partner in time for the Christmas break. You can, of course start planning now.
Deadline for returning negative and print made from it is a bit longer, 28-February 2022 (in case any negatives are delayed in the festive post, and for our Friends outside the UK).
Participants can of course exchange as early as they feel ready.

Ready, Ladies and Gentlemen?
Old 28th October 2021, 04:33 AM
Friend

I am ready.
Old 28th October 2021, 07:27 AM
Friend

Good Morning Uwe.
I already have your contact address through the Print Exchange.
Welcome on board!
Old 28th October 2021, 12:06 PM
Friend

I'm up for the challenge again, please!

I can't help but start to feel excited and I'm wondering whether to send an old neg for the recipient to try printing or to send a new one. I have something in mind to rattle off a few rolls of film over the next few days, weather permitting... We shall see.

You probably have my address Skellum, but I'll PM it across to be on the safe side.

And yes, I can't think why no prints were put into the gallery for the last neg exchange, although just looking, there doesn't appear to be an album to put them into...?

Terry S
Old 28th October 2021, 12:27 PM
Friend

Good Afternoon Terry.
I was expecting to hear from you.
It looks as if the coordinator on Round 5 didn't get around to asking the mods to create a gallery. It's impossible to know what happens to members away from the forum, so we have to accept that for what it is.

Negative choice will be interesting to see. Will members send a difficult neg they find challenging to print, to see what someone else can wring out of it? Or, a brand new image made just for this?
Old 28th October 2021, 04:26 PM
Friend

Count me in!
Old 28th October 2021, 07:40 PM
Friend

Hi Rob.
Good to see you in.
Could you PM your full postal address? I'm going to build a proper index of everyone who participates as I go along.
Cheers!
Old 29th October 2021, 12:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
It looks as if the coordinator on Round 5 didn't get around to asking the mods to create a gallery.
Having checked, you're quite correct.

The round was about the time of July 2013 and as I printed the two negs of mine and a senders, I thought that I might attach them now, for what it's worth.

The first three prints were made from the senders neg, printed by me in different ways. Pictures numbered two and three had me trying to age the look of the prints in some way. The first print is a straight one, the second print had developer applied with a large brush and the third was made on VERY old and unknown paper.

The final single picture was my print from my neg, taken at my allotment site with a Seagull TLR. I don't seem to have a scan of any print received back by myself, so I can only presume that I didn't receive the neg back. But re-reading the exchange letters, the receiver had a good excuse. His house in the Czech Republic had gone through a really bad storm, taking its roof off,so that took president! So I'm pretty sure now that the print was neither made or received by myself, along with my neg not coming back. So, from this story, as mentioned in the rules, ONLY send a neg you won't mind NOT getting back!

Anyway, the prints...

Click image for larger version

Name:	R5 Neg Exchange Print ONE.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	4257

Name:	R5 Neg Exchange Print TWO.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	4258

Name:	R5 Neg Exchange Print THREE.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	4259

Name:	R5 Neg Exchange MY Neg Allotment Beckton.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	4260

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 29th October 2021 at 12:03 PM.
Old 29th October 2021, 01:06 PM
Friend

I have to say Terry, I really like your allotment image.
Old 29th October 2021, 04:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
I have to say Terry, I really like your allotment image.
Thanks, it was always one of my favorites after I printed it. It was also one of the first prints that I did on Ilford FB Matt paper, which has a lovely white and pure tone to the paper. A lot of people have never tried it, but still say they don't like it.

It's becoming my favourite paper as I use it more and recipients of prints made with it, are usually surprised, with a few saying they're going to try a box.

I'll keep my eye out for the negative, as I would like to make some more prints to try with some toners, but as said I don't think it was returned. A shame but such is life.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies