Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th March 2013, 07:48 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Default Hasselblad Extension Tube

I have recently bought a 10mm Hasselblad Extension Tube that I have used on a Hasselblad 500CM and with 80mm, and 150mm lenses.

I have found that when I take the tube off, having wound on the film, the shutter cocking knob on the lens has not clicked into place and the shutter has to be manually recocked before putting back onto the body.

Exposures taken with the tube in place appear to be OK.

Is this normal and something to do with automatically conpensating for the exposure or something wrong with the extension tube? It looks fine to me.
Mike
Old 26th March 2013, 06:50 AM
Friend

Mike, you are saying that the lens shoots fine with the tube in place, and that the shutter recocks correctly when you wind on with the tube in place. However, when you remove the lens, the shutter fires on the lens and it needs recocking manually?

I'd check the spade on the camera + extension tube to ensure it site parallel to the one on the camera when the body is wound on. If there is play or a twist in the shaft, it's possible that the lens would get knocked when you remove it from the tube, and this would cause the shutter to fire.

Sounds very annoying! I hate recocking the shutters with a coin - the rear element always looks very exposed to me when I need to do this.
Old 26th March 2013, 11:16 AM
Friend

hiya, there is a particular order with which the tube and lens have to come off to avoid tripping the shutter. you have to manually alter the exposure for the extra extension for the tubes unless you use a metered head. if i remember correctly then you take the lens off the tube then the tube off the camera. cheers, john
Old 26th March 2013, 04:23 PM
Friend

Yes, the sequence is, to attach the tube, first put the tube on the camera and then the lens on the tube. To remove it, first take off the lens from the tube and then the tube from the camera.
Old 27th March 2013, 05:04 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Bingo! Thanks, Monst & Alfonso: taking off the lens first and then the tube avoids the shutter tripping.
I was expecting to compensate the exposure but I suppose that 10mm is not going to need much increased exposure except perhaps at the closest focusing distance but I will keep it in mind.
Thanks, Mike
Old 1st November 2013, 06:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
I have recently bought a 10mm Hasselblad Extension Tube that I have used on a Hasselblad 500CM and with 80mm, and 150mm lenses.
On the 150mm lens, what is the focusing range, closest and furthest, with a 10mm tube?
Old 2nd November 2013, 10:57 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
On the 150mm lens, what is the focusing range, closest and furthest, with a 10mm tube?
I have been doing a bit of measuring with them:

Focusing range, object to film plane: 107-255 cm
This gives a image/object vertical size scale: 1:4.4-1:14.5

Hope this helps.
Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 2nd November 2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Managed to get an unwanted smiley!
Old 2nd November 2013, 05:59 PM
Friend

Mike, that's magic information - thanks! It's exactly what's required for portraits. Now where can I get a 10mm tube? Jonathan
Old 10th February 2014, 07:46 PM
Friend

I tracked down an 8mm tube, which works well.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies