Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Equipment

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th July 2013, 02:43 PM
Friend

Default Large format and Ultra Large format Users

Hi - A heads up for large format and Ultra large format FADU Users form
this thread: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ead.php?t=8010
Quote:
I have just purchased through ebay a tent to enable me to load and change 10 x 8 film and load into a tank. The tent is quite well manufactured although maybe the materials are a bit thin. It is light and fits into a case 20" x 42". The delivery from China was very quick. I ordered 1/6/13 it was delivered 10/6/13.

I went to the website below and found that the company also manufacture tents up to 20 x 24 and carrying cases for 5 x 4 and 10 x 8 film holders.

If you need these items it may be advantageous to research.

I have ordered two cases for film holders I will post here when they have arrived

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...yDzxQsAeuXmPfQ

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...x95kZAFYSecWSA

http://www.3s-kangrinpoche.com/

ebay seller = 3s-krpc
Review

First the dark tent (10 x 8)

The tent comes packed in a small zip-up plastic bag with two carrying handles it looks water resistant but not waterproof. I suggest OK for carrying in a rain shower but not a
monsoon, and definitely not while swimming. On unpacking there is the tent plus a small plastic bag containing the poles. These poles slot one into another with the help of
elastic bands. They should be fitted inside some cloth channels on the top of the tent and ending with the ends of the poles in sockets on the floor of the tent, the bending of the
poles raises the roof of the tent. It's a bit fiddly to insert the second pole but once done the tent is revealed. The floor area is 90cm x 70 cm (35½ inches x 28½ inches) and the
height in the centre is 32cm (12½ inches). The double elasticated sleeves are quite tight and as I tried on the hottest day (so far) of the year a bit sticky to get your arms into,
but the elastic is tight. The entry point for film holders etc. is 51cm (20 inches) wide and 30cm (12 inches) high. I found no problem in inserting a film into a film holder. I cannot
tell about removing a film from the holder and loading into a Jobo Expert tank ( I haven't managed to get a Jobo Expert tank yet!). The packed weight of the tent is 1Kg.

The 5 x 4 film holder case...

The case is constructed from the same material as laptop cases, it is fairly well padded on the sides but I feel could be better padded on the corners. It takes 5 double film holders packed width to the top unfortunately rather tightly, here is the problem, when removing a holder from the case I think it would be too easy to grab hold of the insert rather than the holder thus giving the possibility of exposing the film. And so I suggest it would be best if this case was used for 4 film holders, but YMMV. The flap is held closed by the "hook and loop" material along with a belt loop closed by the same method. I think that the case would be OK in light rain as long as the flap was closed properly. It is definitely not suitable for dipping in the sea or rivers and swimming with it is a no - no. The case comes with a clip on adjustable shoulder strap of a decent length, and a clip on carry handle. The empty case including the handle and shoulder straps weighs in at 300grams. So apart from the tightness of fitting in 5 film holders and the possible difficulty of extracting them I think it is fit for purpose.

The 10 x 8 film holder case...

Is constructed from the same material as the above case, the flap is held closed by two plastic clips. A shoulder strap is provide with a nicely padded area, there is also a carrying handle sewed to the flap of the case. There is a pocket at the back of the case, not big enough for another film holder, but big enough to take a dark slide or notebook etc. The film holders are stored landscape so averting the problem of extracting them. As with the 5 x 4 case I think that the case would be OK in light rain as long as the flap was closed properly. Again it is definitely not suitable for dipping in the sea or rivers and swimming with it is a no - no. The weight of the case is just under 700grams.

All in all I think these products are OK, the postal charges are somewhat high, and although the e Bay seller said they would combine the postage ($30.00) for two items, this was not actually done for me.

Thanks for reading this and I hope it helps to make you choice a bit more informed.

nn

John Wills
London
SW17

Last edited by numnutz; 19th July 2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: fit fengers and edited mistake
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies