Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Articles > Articles

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Developing Sheet Film in a Paterson Orbital Processor
Trevor Crone
21st February 2011
I use a Paterson Orbital for processing 5x7 and 8x10 film and if I only need to process one or two sheets of 4x5. I have two processors, one with the fins still in place and one where I’ve removed them and all I can say is film processed in either are identical, very evenly developed. However some...
By Trevor Crone on 4th March 2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post
Trevor I processed in the Paterson Orbital using your method for the final tests for the Fomapan, worked a treat, processing was perfect with the fins attached. I used the self adhesive clear plastic domes you suggested on the base, brilliant.
So simple and economical it was easy using your method, thanks

Neil
That's great news Neil. But sorry to read that the Fomapan 400 still has issues.
By Gavin on 14th July 2012, 12:43 PM

Great article Trevor. Regarding the plastic domes, are they glass like or soft in texture?
By Trevor Crone on 15th July 2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Great article Trevor. Regarding the plastic domes, are they glass like or soft in texture?
Thanks Gavin, hope you found it of some use?

The plastic domes are hard but very smooth.
By Dave miller on 15th July 2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Thanks Gavin, hope you found it of some use?

The plastic domes are hard but very smooth.
could try these draw stops.
By Gavin on 15th July 2012, 12:10 PM

Of great use Trevor. I received an orbital in the post this week and was surprised to find that it was new/unused, so I want to get this right first time. I tried local art shops but as yet have found nothing although there's plenty of time to get it right.

I'll take a look at those door stops Dave but I was imagining something harder, probably because I had it in my mind that they were glass at first sight.
By Michael on 15th July 2012, 10:59 PM

The smaller the better, Gavin, as they're hemispherical. Hardware shops should have them. Just ask for wee plastic domes that protect doors from hitting cupboards . And they're self-adhesive.

I have become a disciple of Trevor's since starting to use an Orbital for 7x5 processing.
By Gavin on 16th July 2012, 10:03 AM

Thanks Michael. I've ordered the dome shaped door stops as the ones I have are not shaped the same and would probably be more restrictive to the fluids.
By Dave miller on 16th July 2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Thanks Michael. I've ordered the dome shaped door stops as the ones I have are not shaped the same and would probably be more restrictive to the fluids.
I don't think that their shape should matter as they are there simply as spacers to prevent suction making removal of the medium difficult. Because they are on the non-emulsion side they have no effect on the developing process but do allow washing water to circulate under sheet film.
By numnutz on 16th July 2012, 12:56 PM

I use a Patterson Orbital - I found I have to remove the fins as some negatives suffered from bromide drag in sky areas (Foma and Rollie IR). I used little drops of fish tank silicon sealant to keep the film from the base. I also use the motorised base as I feel this give a more uniform (although continuous) agitation. At the moment I am using 200ml of solution(s) although I did start by using 100ml. Any one using more or less? Mostly I develop 4 sheets of 5 x 4 film, only occasionally 10 x 8.

nn
Last edited by numnutz; 16th July 2012 at 12:59 PM..
By Steve Smith on 16th July 2012, 01:09 PM

I haven't removed the fins on mine but I think I will. And I scored the base with a Stanley blade on mine to prevent the film from sticking.

Steve.
Comment
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search