Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th February 2018, 05:11 PM
Friend

Default Historic Kodak poducts

I came across this website when looking for something else. It brings back some memories and shows what used to be available:-

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ko...ing_Paper.html
Old 26th February 2018, 07:35 PM
Friend

I am of an age when I can remember a lot of the Kodak and Johnsons of Hendon stuff, I cut my photographic teeth on the Kodak film and paper together with Johnsons of Hendon chemicals and equioment, we were spoilt for choice back then, Thanks John for the memories
Richard
Old 28th February 2018, 06:32 PM
Friend

I indeed . such a garland of products
Old 28th February 2018, 07:41 PM
Friend

There's a few date issues, like Pan-X, Super-XX, and Tri-X which were all introduced around 1939/40, they are in my 1940 Kodak Ltd, Professional Catalogue, they were made US, UK and the Kodak Ltd (UK) plant in Hungary.

Ian
Old 2nd March 2018, 11:58 PM
Friend

What a fascinating website - brings back many memories.
Found many years ago, I have a Kodak paper dryer - the type with a canvas apron which is stretched over the paper. I soon discovered why it had been thrown out - it got far too hot*. So I inserted a dimmer in its supply, and it then worked OK.

*I wonder if it was designed for the US market?, or had been "repaired" with a US style element.
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:11 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Stewart View Post
What a fascinating website - brings back many memories.
Found many years ago, I have a Kodak paper dryer - the type with a canvas apron which is stretched over the paper. I soon discovered why it had been thrown out - it got far too hot*. So I inserted a dimmer in its supply, and it then worked OK.

*I wonder if it was designed for the US market?, or had been "repaired" with a US style element.
No that's not a paper dryer, it's a glazer and is designed to get that hot

I have one that came with a job lot of darkroom equipment about 19 years ago.

Ian
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:21 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
No that's not a paper dryer, it's a glazer and is designed to get that hot

I have one that came with a job lot of darkroom equipment about 19 years ago.

Ian
Somewhere I think I've got the glazing sheet, so perhaps I might give it a go. The dimmer control lets me choose the temperature.

Many decades ago I squeegeed prints to clean window glass, and waited, and eventually I had really beautiful glazed prints - better than from the glazing sheet supplied with my small dryer.

My successful glazed prints were made when I had really soft water, I'm now in a hard water area. Does that matter?
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:04 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Stewart View Post
Somewhere I think I've got the glazing sheet, so perhaps I might give it a go. The dimmer control lets me choose the temperature.

Many decades ago I squeegeed prints to clean window glass, and waited, and eventually I had really beautiful glazed prints - better than from the glazing sheet supplied with my small dryer.

My successful glazed prints were made when I had really soft water, I'm now in a hard water area. Does that matter?
Probably quite a bit. Only testing will tell. You could always use a final rinse solution of di-ionised water with wetting agent which will break down the surface tension of the water as well.

When I worked in London our lab had a Kodak rotary drum and that gave good glazed prints, but every so often one or more would stick to the drum. To get them off we had to switch the heater off and let it cool before soaking the stuck print with water.

Needless to say everything must be almost clinically clean. Any blemish on the surface will show up like a bad outbreak of acne!

The best surface to glaze prints on is the glass used in the manufacturer of mirrors, or 6mm float glass then as you said, left to dry.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies