Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd October 2019, 02:54 PM
Friend

Default Music to agitate by ... frivolity alert!

OK, it’s Wednesday and almost silly hour in my house so a question for the more tolerant amongst you.

I was developing a roll of 120 this afternoon “assisted” by my 7 year-old grandson. I was using the MassDev app on my iPad which as you know has an animated icon letting you know when to agitate the tank. Zac, however, was most perturbed that I was not agitating in time to the animation (I was about a third of a second slower per agitation by my reckoning). It led me to wonder if there was a particular piece of music whose beat matched the agitation required. A frivolous thought which I instantly dismissed but it keeps creeping back like an insidious little internal voice so I thought I’d exorcise it by posting the question here.

Feel free to ignore or ridicule at your leisure - living up north for so long has broadened my shoulders considerably and I’m no longer classed as a softy southerner apparently ..
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:08 PM
Friend

I'd avoid the cucaracha, I think. Gilbert Roland as the Mexican revolutionary gave that name to the machine gun that Robert Mitchum brought him. I assume on the basis that both the tune and gun were frenetic when in use. Not ideal for tank agitation

Mike
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:51 PM
Friend

Default Agitate

I agitate my other half when I whistle - usually off key and loudly when I am doing anything in house. Or when I am driving - she cannot escape!

Sorry mate once a southerner - always a southerner. West Yorkshire is positively in the tropics compare to where I am.
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post

Sorry mate once a southerner - always a southerner. West Yorkshire is positively in the tropics compare to where I am.
LOL! I was in County Durham last week as it happens - ‘‘twas warmer and drier than Elland (if my daughters were to be believed). You are right though, I used to live in Torquay but regularly worked in Halifax - it was always several degrees warmer on the south coast than up here. First time I did the journey I had to go to M&S on arrival to buy a jumper to put on over my t shirt! Been up here full time almost twenty years and wouldn’t go back.

Last edited by DaveInElland; 23rd October 2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I'd avoid the cucaracha, I think. Gilbert Roland as the Mexican revolutionary gave that name to the machine gun that Robert Mitchum brought him. I assume on the basis that both the tune and gun were frenetic when in use. Not ideal for tank agitation

Mike
LOL! I had to Google that ... definitely faster than any agitation techniques I’ve ever read about.
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:21 PM
Friend

I live in the West Midlands, and can confirm when I worked in Cheshire three days a week, it was always several degrees cooler up there. I'd have moved north if I had had the chance...... Sigh.
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:31 PM
Friend

I find singing all the words to I was Kaiser bills batman ,helps get me in the swing .if not I play exile on main st rolling stones it don't help me with timing ,but there is a photographic connection ..
Old 25th October 2019, 12:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInElland View Post
OK, it’s Wednesday and almost silly hour in my house so a question for the more tolerant amongst you.

I was developing a roll of 120 this afternoon “assisted” by my 7 year-old grandson. I was using the MassDev app on my iPad which as you know has an animated icon letting you know when to agitate the tank. Zac, however, was most perturbed that I was not agitating in time to the animation (I was about a third of a second slower per agitation by my reckoning). It led me to wonder if there was a particular piece of music whose beat matched the agitation required. A frivolous thought which I instantly dismissed but it keeps creeping back like an insidious little internal voice so I thought I’d exorcise it by posting the question here.

Feel free to ignore or ridicule at your leisure - living up north for so long has broadened my shoulders considerably and I’m no longer classed as a softy southerner apparently ..
When I was taught photography at Uni, I was told both Ilford and Kodak banned all music in their darkrooms.

Apparently, consciously or otherwise - the thought was one tended to follow the rhythm of the music.

Jobo then made a film and paper development cassette tape with background music to play in the darkroom - which allowed you to keep time in the dark.

People apparently began to loath the background music after the many hundredth playing of the tape.

I prefer either listening to the cricket or silence.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies