Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th April 2020, 06:31 PM
Friend

Default Hasselblad Carl zeiss 150mm f4 cf lens

I recently bought a Hasselblad 500cm, A12 back, 150mm f4 cf lens and lens hood, as an added bonus the 500cm come with an acute matte D spit frame/prism focus screen (have you seen the price of these things on ebay)
I always wanted a hasssie after owning Rollei and mamiya medium format equipment, my camera is from 1978 and is ex condition and the lens is from 1995 and near mint
I was wondering how good the lens is as i am using the camera for close portraits, i was wondering how sharp the lens is from people who actually own one, i have looked on flickr but prefer comments from people who have one and have used it, with covid 19 pandemic it is not a good idea to be getting the camera out at the moment

Last edited by paddy; 18th April 2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 18th April 2020, 08:09 PM
Friend

I have the 150 cf and its very sharp ,I love it ,but a good accessory is a Hasselblad Extension Tube 16 ,you can get a bit closer with no loss of quality .. I bought all my Hasselblad gear when the so called Pros were part exchanging them for the likes of Nikon D1 D2 D3 ,I could not afford to buy it now ,but I was lucky and had some money to spare at the right time .here is my setup ..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002 (2).jpg
Views:	647
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	3703
Old 18th April 2020, 08:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I have the 150 cf and its very sharp ,I love it ,but a good accessory is a Hasselblad Extension Tube 16 ,you can get a bit closer with no loss of quality .. I bought all my Hasselblad gear when the so called Pros were part exchanging them for the likes of Nikon D1 D2 D3 ,I could not afford to buy it now ,but I was lucky and had some money to spare at the right time .here is my setup ..

Attachment 3703
Thanks for the reply paul
I bought this lens for half length to head and shoulders portraits so happy it,s a goodun
Do you have to add some exp compensation when using the ext tube 16, or can you still use the meter reading that you would use without it in place
Paddy
Old 18th April 2020, 08:46 PM
Friend

you might have to, but i never have and it works well , i have used it a lot over the years i don't know what its like on other hassie lenses as i only use it with the 150 ,its a great thing when you want to get that bit closer .
Old 18th April 2020, 08:50 PM
Friend

Yes the pictures off the 16 and 150mm lens look great close up, i have seen 16e ones for sale but i will look out for a non electric one
Old 18th April 2020, 09:04 PM
Friend

Paddy on my albums i have a couple of prints i took with my Hasselblad and 50 CF lens of my granddaughter ...
Old 19th April 2020, 01:42 AM
Friend

Ive just bought a Hasselblad 16mm ext tube off ebay
I only have the 150mm f4 cf lens but will buy a 80mm when funds alllow
I think you have to add half to a full stop when using the 16mm ext tube
Old 20th April 2020, 01:39 PM
Friend

This site has a good discussion of the issues of exposure.
http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/H....aspx#CalcProc
About 2/3 of the way down there is a equation where you can input your lens focal length and your extension tube length.
For yours, the fstop change is 1/3 of a stop (with the lens set at infinity).
Old 20th April 2020, 03:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Ive just bought a Hasselblad 16mm ext tube off ebay
I only have the 150mm f4 cf lens but will buy a 80mm when funds alllow
I think you have to add half to a full stop when using the 16mm ext tube
Bill Cowan’s formula below is exact, even for asymmetric lenses, because it takes into account the increased distance between the lens rear node and the film plane.
My 150mm F/4 is an excellent lens - just watch out for the flare from off-axis illumination - the Sonnar is notorious for this. I came across a photographer who insisted on using the bellows hood, which is a real hassle (excuse the pun, please).
Old 20th April 2020, 03:37 PM
Friend

I always use lens hoods ,I have the Hasselblad proshade 6093 ,its a nice piece of kit, when you use any kind of lens hood it always helps give your pictures more contrast and sharper pictures ,as your lens is not suffering from stray light .
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies