Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th April 2020, 03:54 PM
Friend

been out in the garden ,taking some shots of my three dogs ,I am lucky I have a garden ,and three dogs its keeping me occupied..i have been digging out all my lenses to use and its giving me a bit of exercise . .I will start shooting some still life tomorrow ..is anybody else shooting still life and if so what are you shooting..
Old 20th April 2020, 04:07 PM
Friend

I have been doing some 645 close-up work (not true macro) of outside subjects on our plot. The main problem being is the wind! So the camera sits on its tripod ready to go in our cottage and when there is a windless hour or so out I go and shoot a film. So far I have one roll of HP5+ that looks promising which I am hoping to print from soon.

Have a good shoot with your still-life subjects, Paul!

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 20th April 2020, 04:10 PM
Friend

Default Still Life

Yes, I photographed new spring flowers when I was out yesterday. Not your normal still life I know, but using a small HAMA tripod with a B&S Head and a QR Shoe on which I mounted my Minolta XM and 24/35 zoom. In full sunlight they should be fine (1/250-F11 around 28mm focal length and using 200iso C41)

I still have to develop the film, but hope to do so tomorrow after I have finished the cassette.
Old 20th April 2020, 05:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
been out in the garden ,taking some shots of my three dogs ,I am lucky I have a garden ,and three dogs its keeping me occupied..i have been digging out all my lenses to use and its giving me a bit of exercise . .I will start shooting some still life tomorrow ..is anybody else shooting still life and if so what are you shooting..
Sadly I don't have a garden, but I have been shooting, or trying to shoot, some still life indoors using my Bronica ETRSi and light from the window, and my Minolta Dynax using the 5600hs and 5400hs flash's as wireless, which seems to have worked well, also on my 2 hour exercise priod's I have been om various beaches looking for coastal still life, hoping to get into my darkroom soon and start printing rhem
Richard
Old 20th April 2020, 05:49 PM
New User

Hi! I'm using this down-time to update my website and polish photos in my portfolio. I don't try to do it all at once, just a little at a time. My work relies on business teams being together at work, so it will be hard for me to generate new photography. But all the things I used to wish I had extra time for: putting content into my site, doing SEO, updating my blog, all have been keeping me pretty busy. Stay healthy everyone!
Old 20th April 2020, 06:45 PM
Friend

Default Developing film

I have given in to temptation and sacrificed the remaining 10 or so exposures on the film I used yesterday and as I type the water in my JOBO is heating up to 38c.

I do wish it were possible to buy C41 film in bulk rolls as we used to be able to. I find a 24 exp lengths ideal for a daily 'shoot' and whilst 24 exp cassettes are available they are unit for unit very expensive so I always buy 36's

The market was sustained by the insurgence of speed and traffic light cameras in to 90's and they used 30m lengths of Agfa colour neg film.

Those cameras were originally a modified motor drive 'Robot' camera from Germany and were superseded by digital around about 2002 so saving the cost of film and the developing, also ensured that the required Notice of Intended Prosecution was sent out within the prescribed 14 day limit.

Last edited by John King; 20th April 2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 21st April 2020, 10:15 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I have a garden (and an acre field), access to open country and could theoretically go up Snowdon without setting foot in a car or having to walk on much road and have contemplated doing so and then on to the Carneddau with a tent but have never got round to it. This ambition was interrupted by my 10 yr flirtation with seakayaking and then made difficult by a bad hip. Whether I could manage it now with my pot hip is a moot point.

I realise this makes me very lucky in this current situation compared to town or even some village inhabitants. I always take a camera (film) with me when I am out be it walking or on my Ebike on which I do my shopping -often 5½ miles away (as long as it isn't raining). Exercise and essential journey all in one!!
Mike
Old 22nd April 2020, 09:08 AM
Friend

I'm very fortunate in that I live within a short bike ride of some wonderful woodland and heathland areas. Being a bit restricted to has meant me exploring places closer to home that I've ignored until now. I've even discovered places I didn't know existed! The problem is taking a tripod. Whilst I can easily carry my lightweight tripod on the bike there have been several cases of the local police stopping people with tripods (both photographers and birdwatchers) and telling them 'photography/birdwatching isn't allowed'. It's obviously nonsense as going for a solo walk with a camera etc is good exercise but I know two people who this has happened to and I don't want to take the risk. Is this just a Norfolk thing or has anyone else encountered this issue? It's not too much of an issue in this lovely weather with my usual FP4+/HP5+ but I've got several rolls of Rollei Retro 80 and want to try some infrared with it!
Old 22nd April 2020, 09:46 AM
Friend

[QUOTE=Rob Archer;132638]The problem is taking a tripod. Whilst I can easily carry my lightweight tripod on the bike there have been several cases of the local police stopping people with tripods (both photographers and birdwatchers) and telling them 'photography/birdwatching isn't allowed'.

Norfolk police need a reality check, walking and cycling are allowed with or without a tripod. Walking and cycling in rural areas is far less dangerous than going shopping. I have to go walks at 5:30am to avoid all the people walking and cycling in and around my village. The National Trust have closed Hardwick Hall and park but it does not stop people climbing over gates and going into the park.There has been a massive increase in the amounts of litter along the paths and lanes. I picked up a full bin bag of rubbish last week but there is even more now. I just don't understand the mentality of people who chuck their garbage in the streets and countryside. Most of the people I see walking are not from the immediate locality; I just hope they don't come back littering up the place when things get back to "normal".People living in my village are not taking the shutdown seriously at all. My neighbours have frequent visitors and go out with their friends. It is very frustrating to watch other people going about their daily lives whilst most of us are staying in. Stay safe and stay positive!
Old 22nd April 2020, 10:51 AM
Friend

[QUOTE=GoodOldNorm;132639]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
The problem is taking a tripod. Whilst I can easily carry my lightweight tripod on the bike there have been several cases of the local police stopping people with tripods (both photographers and birdwatchers) and telling them 'photography/birdwatching isn't allowed'.

Norfolk police need a reality check, walking and cycling are allowed with or without a tripod. Walking and cycling in rural areas is far less dangerous than going shopping. I have to go walks at 5:30am to avoid all the people walking and cycling in and around my village. The National Trust have closed Hardwick Hall and park but it does not stop people climbing over gates and going into the park.There has been a massive increase in the amounts of litter along the paths and lanes. I picked up a full bin bag of rubbish last week but there is even more now. I just don't understand the mentality of people who chuck their garbage in the streets and countryside. Most of the people I see walking are not from the immediate locality; I just hope they don't come back littering up the place when things get back to "normal".People living in my village are not taking the shutdown seriously at all. My neighbours have frequent visitors and go out with their friends. It is very frustrating to watch other people going about their daily lives whilst most of us are staying in. Stay safe and stay positive!
Don't get me going about rubbish! One of the other non-photographic things I do is help manage our local Doorstep Green. One corner of it seems to have been taken over by professional drinkers and we're picking up a sackful of cans and bottles nearly every day. That said, the rest of the site is quiet and well worth a visit for engaging with nature or photography. The low-life are easy to spot and avoid!
http://hardings-pits.org.uk/
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies