Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th November 2019, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Kodachrome and higher-speed colour negative films seem to be the main casualties of the digital boom (now Ektachrome is making a comeback) - pretty much everything else still exists in one form or another, albeit with less choice. Saying that, Fuji seem to be determined to leave the film market too...

Any of the major retailers will have most of the available major film stocks and, as mentioned, https://analoguewonderland.co.uk/ also stock a large array of boutique and imported films that have sprung up in recent years/months so is probably the best bet for a list of what is available.

Last edited by Bob; 19th November 2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 19th November 2019, 08:26 PM
Friend

Default Buying film

Hi, Ken.
One thing worth keeping in mind is that buying in bulk can be much cheaper than buying single rolls. I don’t mean buying hundreds of rolls, or bulk lengths to load into re-usable cassettes, but simply buying five or ten rolls at a time can save quite a bit.
Rolling your own from a bulk length of 17 or 30m is even more economical once you have the loader and cassettes, but you need to know which film you prefer to use before you go down that route. Some sellers online do a pack with a selection of films which again is likely to be cheaper than buying them singly. Our sponsors, together with eBay, Amazon, Firstcall, etc are all worth a look. Be careful when comparing to check whether 35mm stock is 24 or 36 exposure. Also, with 4x5, some packs are 25 sheet whilst others are 50, although prices may be similar.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 19th November 2019, 08:44 PM
Friend

I second Quendil's mention of Speed Graphic (speedgraphic.co.uk). They're extremely nice to deal with.
Old 19th November 2019, 11:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendil View Post
Apart from the ones mentioned I also use parallax [url]https://parallaxphotographic.coop/[/url
I've never heard of this site, but checking it out they seem to have good priced papers but most of them are out of stock!

Terry S
Old 19th November 2019, 11:35 PM
Friend

Shop around, UK suppliers aren't always the best, I've just bought 40 rolls of film from Norway.

Look for bulk discounts (here in the UK) and factor in charges from abroad there re big savings to be made.

Ian
Old 19th November 2019, 11:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Shop around, UK suppliers aren't always the best, I've just bought 40 rolls of film from Norway.

Look for bulk discounts (here in the UK) and factor in charges from abroad there re big savings to be made.

Ian
Ian can you say what the film was and what the savings came to compared to the U.K. stockists? Was the saving from your source available across the board and did it rely on as big an order as 40 films?

Thanks

Mike
Old 20th November 2019, 07:57 AM
Friend

Default Buying Film

As far as I can determine the cheapest place to buy film is from MORCO.

Colour negative film cab be bought for £2.50 for a 36 exp cassette. (Fuji and Kodak) Ilford B&W is cheaper than any of the usual suspects AG, Process Supplies, Firstcall and Silverprint. The same applies to paper chemicals (usually, but not Kodak RA4).

I have used them for years and they are very reliable. I don't think their postage costs are very much different to the others.
Old 20th November 2019, 08:29 AM
Friend

Hi Mike, I was buying Foma film prices from Fomafoto in Norway are lower than here in the UK and there's no Import Duty/VAT as Norway is part of the European Free Trade association like we should be.

I was buying 120 and unusually for me 35mm films this time, there's no bulk discounts but prices are significantly lower anyway, the savings on sheet film though are even greater compared to UK prices.

In the past I've bought Ilford sheet film from the US because it was a lot cheaper that way but exchange rates aren't so benificial and the Import Duy/VAT on the film and shipping add about a third to the cost.

Before Martin Reed sold Silverprint the company gave a discount for bulk purchases of Ilford film and that was an incentive to stock up.

The recent short term discounts from some UK suppliers mean you have to shop around to find the best deals.

Ian
Old 20th November 2019, 01:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Hi Mike, I was buying Foma film prices from Fomafoto in Norway are lower than here in the UK and there's no Import Duty/VAT as Norway is part of the European Free Trade association like we should be.

Ian
That's interesting to know Ian.

I too contemplated buying some bits from outside the UK, from the US, as their prices were way better than the UK. But, as you say, the £ to $ is bad and on top of that, there is also import charges etc. to add.

As for Morco (= https://www.morco.uk.com/ and NOT morco.co.uk as I thought, which is a shower company?!?), I've just checked their prices against the order I made yesterday and they even out to about the same total. But, it is still good to look around when buying anything.

And as said before, ebay is definitely NOT the place to get a bargain price on film, as most of it is way overpriced! There may be the occasional bargain, but I like to think I'm getting fresher film when buying from a shop, when compared to a individual selling just a few rolls of the stuff. As for cheaper (but only just) 'date expired' film on the site, the choice is yours, but I prefer fresh, for which I'm willing to pay a little bit extra.

Terry S
Old 20th November 2019, 01:44 PM
Friend

Fomapan 100 35mm 36ex is 3.05 euros- £2.61 a roll from Norway, £3.30 from Morco so that's a significant saving, however shipping and the actual Bank or Paypal exchange rate makes it more like a saving of 35-50p a roll rather than nearly 70p. Order size affects Morco's postage cost free over £120.

When I compare 4x5 and 10x8 film Morco are £35 for 50 sheets and Fomafoto £25.57, 10x8 Morco £130 and Fomafoto £89.04. Those kinds of savings are worthwhile.

I should add my main films are Ilford Delta 100 & 400 and HP5 (LF) but I keep Fomapan as a backup.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies